Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riding at Redhawk's playground
Last Friday I met up with Vicki & Ginger at Salamonie State Forest. I had never been there and Ginger promised us a lovely ride in her favorite stomping grounds. She delivered on her promise and we enjoyed the scenery and the cooler temps. Of course, I took this time to add to my GTA total with witnesses! I was riding in a saddle I had purchased earlier this year but I hadn't ridden many steep hills in yet. Evidently, it does not please Rocky since he started bucking down the hills. I made it through 2 bucking series but finally going up a steep muddy hill, he started lunging up, which turned to bucking and I made an unscheduled dismount! NOthing hurt but my dignity, thank goodness! I'm posting a few pictures I was able to snap before my attention was diverted to saving my hiney. Thanks for letting me join you, Vicki & Ginger.
[Image: DSCN2364.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2366.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2380.jpg]
It was great to have you along with us, Tag&Rocky. Just wish Rocky would've given you a better ride. Have you had a chance yet to find out just what the problem was for sure? I know you gave me quite a scare when I looked back after topping the hill to see Rocky with no one aboard. Hope you're not feeling too sore or stiff after all that, and hoping the next time you come will be better.

And thanks for posting the pics [Smile][Wink].
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
It was a wonderful weekend; just wish it had been better for you, Nancy! Ginger and I had a great ride on Saturday, and another very nice 2-hour ride today before breaking camp. Hope you and Mary Lynne can camp there with us sometime!

EZ2SPOT
Great pics! I'm glad you guys got to ride together and enjoy such a beautiful day.

Sorry about the dismount. I hope you can figure out what the problem was.
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
Good to hear nothing was hurt. Have you determined the problem to be the saddle? I know horse flies have been bad this year.
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

I introduced Rocky to a crupper and have ridden in it several times. NO bucking or anything thankfully. I think th esaddle was just slipping to far forward and pinching him. Fingers crossed.....
Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
Great that you have found a solution to the problem. A lot of horses DO need a crupper. I know of several people who have horses that they just cannot ride on hills without one.

A funny thing that happened when RH and I rode on Saturday. I ALWAYS forget to pack some necessary item for long trail rides. That Saturday, I was pretty confident that I had, for once, remembered absolutely everything. Water, check! Food, check! Bug spray, check! I was mentally patting myself on the back for being such a good girl, when about 20 minutes out on the trail, I realized I had forgotten the breast collar! Fortunately, the saddle managed to stay in place pretty well, even without it.

Lesson learned; if I think I have remembered everything, I probably haven't. I really need to make a little checklist and go through it before heading out.

EZ2SPOT