Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My SECOND Trail Ride of the Year
Ah, a visit to Strawtown on a bright, clear, but rather chilly morning! I rode Warsong and Trish started out on Butterbrickle. We weren't that far into the ride, though, when Butterbrickle began giving Trish some trouble. Nothing really horrible, but enough to make Trish nervous. One of the people riding with us was a trainer, riding a horse that belonged to a friend of Trish's, and he offered to switch horses. It didn't take long for Butterbrickle to get the idea that she'd have a much easier time of it if she behaved! We had a good time, and were able to ride down into the river (it is often too flooded at this time of year to do that).

Back at the parking area, another group was getting ready to hit the trails...and one of the riders was bucked off. Now, that parking lot is gravel, and HARD! As we found out later when she came to ask if we had any bandaids and pain reliever, this gal had actually been bucked off TWICE that day. She finally waited at the trailer, while her friends rode. It was not her horse that bucked her off; guess it belonged to a friend or relative. We sure felt sorry for her. Ouch!

Well, Butterbrickle might be going to this trainer for a refresher course in trail manners, in a few more weeks. It is just hard for one person to get two horses trail-ready in the spring.

EZ2SPOT
Sounds like an awesome place, I have heard several people talking about it!
BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
I had my 2nd ride of the year too. I went out on Saturday. We've been dry for about a week now, and the trails out of Lost Bridge West were in great shape. The only problem was I forgot my billfold of all things. That meant I had no money and no bridle tag that I keep in it. Luck was with me that the gate house was closed. Otherwise, I would never have made it to the day rider's area.

Anyway, I had a wonderful ride and enjoyed seeing the redbud trees in bloom.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Beth, it is definitely not awesome!! But it is all we have. The footing is great, and the trails are nice and wide, but they basically just go around and through fields, with little stretches that are wooded. The trails are shared with hikers, runners, and bikers, which can be a bit unsettling for horses at first. And, oh, yes, there are the swings!!! Porch-style swings under wooden awnings, stragetically placed where they will have maximum "spook" value! Most of them are either right where you go into the woods, or right where you come out of the woods, and as the horses' eyes are adjusting to the different light, they see those scary things moving back & forth in the wind. Quite an interesting experience!

Seriously, considering how little riding there is to be had here in central Indiana, I feel very fortunate to have Strawtown less than a 20 minute drive away.

EZ2SPOT
I forgot to add that, of all things, I forgot my billfold when I went to Lost Bridge. You see, when I go day riding I always put all my stuff (billfold too) in my hornbag and leave my purse at home. But for some reason I forgot to transfer my billfold.

So there I was heading for the gate house, reaching for my billfold to pay to get in and show my bridle tag to the attendant, and suddenly realizing I had neither money nor tag [:O]! But things worked out anyway. There was no gate attendant. The gate house was closed, which meant I didn't have to pay to get in. Praised be no DNR officer asked to see my bridle tag either.

One thing's for sure; next time you can just bet I'll have my billfold along.

Oh yeah! Good thing I had enough gas in the truck. I had planning on stopping for gas on the way home.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown