Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Before and After pics
of my now 24-1/2 yr old TWH with Equine Metabolic Syndrome. That isn't quite the same as true Insulin Resistance but it's still considered Type II diabetes.

It's other technical name is "Peripheral Cushings". I suspect because muscle waste is involved with EMS moreso than with IR. His Pituitary gland supposedly remains unaffected with EMS. The pituitary gland malfunctioning is the cause of true cushings.

This was March, 2007 right before he started losing weight rapidly and was diagnosed with EMS.
[Image: Dukemuttonwithers03-01-07.jpg]

This pic was September, 2011
[Image: 020-1.jpg]

Duke has lost about 100 lbs since the 2007 picture. While it isn't obvious, I can feel his ribs part way down his barrel.

He, and my other metabolic horse, get physicals and blood drawn twice yearly. The vet feels this horse is at a good weight.

The vet would like to see another 40 lbs off the other Fella but is at least happy that Joker's belly doesn't hang out past his butt (like it used to) when he stands directly behind him, as Joker is walking away. This horse has to have his nightly hay in a slow feeder net because the IR makes him think he's starving all the time.

The horse in the picture is not like that at all. I put his hay in a tub and he stretches it out almost all night.

Point-being Killybean, if you read this, here's one more to show the lady with the fat horse.

Now that I have two metabolic horses (both Tennessee Walkers), this is the one equine subject that I get on my soapbox about - right or wrong[B)]

Thanks! I will keep after this woman!! Poor horse needs a job too!

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska