Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Treating Abcesses
Several weeks ago one of the donks, Woody, started hobbling around and my Amish donk trimmer found the abcess. I was dreading trying to soak & wrap him daily but Amos showed me another way to treat him.

Amos wrapped a handful of epson salts in a piece of cloth & soaked it, placed the wet salts on the opening, put a diaper over the hoof then wrapped it in that stretchy vet wrap stuff. What I thought was totally innovative and something I hadn't thought of was using the corner of a white plastic feed bag to cover the diaper!

The toe fit right down into the corner of the bag, the ends come up over the hoof and the whole thing was taped down with ducktape. Amos said it would be good for 3-4 days and it was! Woody's abcess was pretty deep and the hole to drain it was fairly large so I kept it wrapped for almost 2 weeks to give the hoof time to close. It was a PITA to get off but the "boot" held, the hoof was clean, the epson salts dissolved, the abcess healed and Woody let me work on him!

Amos (Amish) has been trimming the donks for a couple of years now and does a really good job. Woody decided he wasn't going to be trimmed and began to take aim on Jeremy. Indy wasn't much better but he's small enough to wrestle around & I could ear & tail him so he was managable. Jeremy suggested Amos when he got tired of donkey wrestling. Woody's kick switch flipped off just as suddenly as it flipped on and Amos is able to trim him now without tying up a back hoof. Indy is still a jerk but Amos ties up the foot & lets him kick till he gets tired. Indy has a couple of screws missing and the rest are loose. [Wink]

Anyhoo....I just wanted to share the trick with the epson salts & feed bag!
Tell me more about how he ties up a rear hoof.
He's got a fleece lined collar with a long thick rope attached that he puts over the base of the neck against their shoulders. The rope is run between the back feet then he brings it around the to the outside of the leg, under the fetlock but above the hoof and ties it to the collar so the hoof is raised up so the toe barely touches the ground. The collar can be released easily in an emergency.

Amos can pick up the hoof and pull the leg back so he can work on the hoof. When Indy kicks, he doesn't get a full swing since the rope stops the backward motion. He can still move around and be a PITA but at least he can't really connect when he kicks.

Neither donk has ever had a rope burn after they've been trimmed using this method. Woody figured out pretty quick that it was useless to fight it. Indy hasn't.

I've tried to find pics but haven't had any luck. I'll try to get some when Amos is here again but that won't be till close to Christmas.
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
How often do you have them trimmed? Eeyore, Dad's mini-donk, only needs it maybe 3 times a year. The horses can only go 4-5 weeks.

EZ2SPOT
Usually 8 weeks give or take a week on the donks and Joe 6-8 weeks.
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
I'll look forward to your pics. We have a quarter horse that has arthritis in his right rear leg, making him unwilling (he can do it if he wants to) lift his left foot. the best we can seem to do consistently is to tip his hoof up on the toe so we can get to his sole that way. He doesn't kick but won't keep it up long enough to do much trimming on the toe. We've tried training, bute, warmup exercise, and even tying his leg up similar to your method. He wound up with a rope burn on the back of his pastern above the hoof.

One method we haven't fully worked out yet involves duct taping a plywood block to the bottom of his hoof so that the toe overhangs with a bit of space above a concrete floor.
Hey PG
I think the addition of the vet wrap is smart. I remember you posting a pic of Joe and how you wrapped his abcess. When my TB had trouble last year, I copied that....but had problems of her wearing off the duct tape.

The vet sold me a nylon boot $40 with velcro strap and it did the trick. I saw somewhere recently they sell a soaking boot that goes halfway to the knee also, but not sure how good that stays on.

I wasn't getting anywhere with the Epsom salts. My farrier gave me some itchmanol, and that seemed to work better to draw it out..nasty gooey stuff though. Used the Espom salts to clean and soothe with the dressing changes and worked pretty good that way.