Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here we go again... hopefully NOT!
Well, we are back at Purdue, but this time it is not Annie. We were scheduled to leave last Thursday morning for Mammoth Cave, and Wednesday evening when I went out to feed (a little later than usual due to trying to get ready, and pouring down rain and cold) I noticed Deb's horse Shaz, who we've had since March, was lame. He wouldn't put any weight at all on his right hind foot. I looked closer in the dark and saw a fairly heavy wire sticking staight out of his leg, right at the coronary band. It was a pretty heavy guage (about like high tensile fence wire) and all rusty and pitted. I have no idea where or how he did it, but it probably just worked its way up in the old pasture around the barn. A quick feel of it revealed that it was stuck in there good and would not just fall out. We called the vet out and right away he said there were 2 choices... he could either pull it out, flush it, put him on antibiotics, and cross our fingers (no way to tell how deep it was), or, we could load him up and take him to Purdue to have xrays done before pulling it out. He said if it was into the joint or through the tendon sheath it could be very serious.

We decided to head for Purdue and left home about 11:30pm. Got to Purdue around 1:00am and they took many xrays. The wire went in and then took a 90 degree turn straight down. Must have gone in at a downward angle and then got bent over. They said it was close as to whether it had gotten into the coffin joint. They went ahead and removed it and then took a fluid sample from the joint. Unfortunately, it had pierced the joint membrane and had contaminated the joint. They explained that, if this joint gets badly infected, it will be necessary to put him down, as it is almost impossible to clear up at that point. The only other alternative is to treat it very aggressively and hope to stave off infection, so we told them to go ahead. They called in a surgeon, put him under general anesthesia, and proceded with 4 hours of arthroscopic surgery to clean out the joint sac. They also discovered during the surgery that it had nicked the coffin bone, but that was not of high concern. They felt like they got a good surgery done and got it cleaned out as well as hoped for. They said the first 48 hours or so would be very critical. They then put him on IV antibiotics and have imperfused (sp) antibiotics straight into the joint 3 times now since then.

He is still at Purdue and will probably be there a total of 2 weeks. So far he is doing well and is no longer lame at the walk. They have not trotted him yet but assume he would still be lame at the trot at this point. They have put a pad under his other hind foot just as a precaution against laminitis. They did say they changed the dressing yesterday and there was a little more drainage than they had expected, but so far no real signs of infection.

We are hoping that we will be able to avoid an infection, and that he will be able to return to an active lifestyle in time. I'd like to ask that you all send up a little prayer for Shaz, as he is such a nice boy and a good horse for Deb.
OH MY GOSH. I hate this for Shaz, Deb and you. You guys have had your share of critically injured horses and long long recovery times.

Fingers & hooves crossed here that Shaz heals quickly with NO complications.

I know all about old farms and crap working up out of the ground. Joe has had several abcesses that I feel were caused by old used to be buried stuff.

Please keep us posted!
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
Holy Moly. My heart goes out to you for your insistence on doing the right thing. Like PG, fingers & hooves crossed.
"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
Same here, sending prayers!! I was shocked & sorry to read your post, & hoping for a good outcome for Shaz. Yes, on farms, you do have lots of old stuff coming up out of the ground. I've been here 35 years, & I'm still finding stuff.

EZ2SPOT
I'm sorry to hear this.....and bless your heart for making the trip! I hope he recuperates quickly and fully. My prayers are with you and I, too, have fingers and hooves crossed! Keep us updated, please. Good luck to you all....
You are the greatest with your horses! So many would just put them down! I think if I ever come back in another life I wanna be one of your horses though I would be very careful about where I stepped! Hope all turns out great healing vibes coming your way!
BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
Let's hope this is the final chapter in your run of bad luck.

I think it was very wise of you to take Shaz directly to Perdue. I am confident that with your aggressive professional early treatment og his injury, you will not have another Annie episode.

Sending healing thoughts to Shaz with best wishes for an uncomplicated recovery.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
It saddens the heart to hear this, and I, too, pray for Shaz to rebound from this just fine.

I can't help but think that the Good Lord has done this for a reason. Why? We may never know, but if He doesn't want you to go somewhere, where something much worse might happen to you or someone else, He will find a way to keep you from going. Have faith that He will never give you more than you can bear. Take heart in that, Harv. Things will get better. It might take awhile to get there, but things will get better. The Lord is there helping you bear your cross, and when the time is right, He will lift it off your shoulders.

I prayed when I read about Shaz last night when I got home from work, but didn't have time to post till now. I'll say another prayer tonight and hope to hear good news soon.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Oh gosh Harv, I'm sorry to hear this. You guys have had your share and then some of bad luck. I hope and pray Shaz recovers fully.
Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
How is Shaz doing at Perdue?
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson