Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leg Injury; Dove...Update01/02/12
Glad to hear Dove is healing up. Its always something isn't?
Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
Well it's been two weeks since the accident, and the bone is finally covered up. The wound looks the same size as before but is starting to fill in with a slimy wet kind of gunk. Doc said it's right on schedule and that he was expecting it. I flushed it out with a garden hose yesterday (good ole Dove just stood there like it happens everyday [^]. But the temps were in the upper 60's.) when I noticed the bone is no longer visible.

We've also let Dove outside a couple of times, which he's enjoyed. I know he's starting to feel better when he starts finding places to chew on his stall [B)][Big Grin]. Bad for the stall but good to know he's acting more normal.

I'm now waiting on Doc to call me back. I'm running out of supplies and need to get more bandaging materials and antibiotic powder that we put on Dove's feed. Amazingly, he is eating it this way. Sure makes it easier than mixing it with apple sauce [Smile].

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Great news!!! I'm sure his good recovery is due to all the good care you are providing!

EZ2SPOT
Oh thank goodness!! So glad he is on the mend.
Not really much to report this time around. The wound is pretty much filled in... too much. About a quarter of an inch too much. Now we're fighting proud flesh... or at least beginning the business of keeping it at bay. There's a crease about 3" long running vertically through the center. Doc said this is a good thing and will help the skin knit back over the wound, but no skin has formed over the inch and a half wide, 4" long area of the injury.

Dove's doing fine, but getting bored with confinement. He's still getting medication in his feed and eating it well. He's been out when the arena has been dry enough to do so and seems to be walking with no visible limp, though I can see a slight dip in his hip that most people wouldn't even notice if they didn't know Dove like I do.

I'll probably be going out in a little bit to clean the wound and change his dressing. I've been lucky so far. We've been blessed with fairly good weather for November, but today the wind has picked up with rain moving in. The wind chills are in the low 30's. I've been flushing Dove's wound out with a hose to clean it good before doctoring and wrapping it back up. Might be a little cold for that today, but we'll see.

All-in-all, everything is healing up according to schedule. I'll just be glad when it's all over and Dove is back to normal.

--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Surprise! The proud flesh was mostly gone when I did Dove's leg this morning. The wound itself was a hair below the surface instead of a quarter inch above. I also talked to Doc about an hour ago, and he's very pleased to hear the wound is about half the width it was when Dove first got injured. He said to keep doing what I'm doing, which seems to be working very well indeed.
--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Great, good to hear the healing is doing it's thing!
BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
I'm so glad that Dove is healing well.
Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

I have just read what happened to Dove. I know that it has been a month or so since the last post and was hoping to see if Dove has made a full recovery yet. Hopefully all is closed up so you won't have to worry about flies with spring right around the corner.
quote:
Originally posted by maryk

I have just read what happened to Dove. I know that it has been a month or so since the last post and was hoping to see if Dove has made a full recovery yet. Hopefully all is closed up so you won't have to worry about flies with spring right around the corner.

Thanks for your concern, maryk. Greatly appreciated.

Dove's pretty much back to normal. He's still scabbed over and has been for quite some time, but I'm sure there was lots of healing going on from the inside out. He's back to going in and out of his stall as he pleases (and letting Terra know he's boss [Big Grin]). The scab is still there when I can see it and it's not mud covered. No seeping, no smell, no swelling, and the scab is keeping everything contained. Yep, he's doing fine [^][Smile].

--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown