Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forest Magic at Salamonie; Flute Pics Added
I rode along the edge of the gorge and heard water trickling over the smaller waterfall until I reached the top of the gorge. Quiet dominated with the hushed rush of a breeze brushing the treetops and an occasional bird call. The twin falls was so dry only the stones were damp.

I stopped Terra. We would cross the gorge but not until I found the magic I sought. I dismounted, tied Terra to a tree since there was no hitch rail here, and gave her a comforting pat.

My flute bag lay lightly across my back held in place with the shoulder strap nestled diagonally against my shirt and between my breasts. I took it off, drew out my native American flute, cherishing the feel and scent of the cedar. Soil covered the rock outcropping that divided the falls, and I walked to the safest spot nearest the overhang to view the grandeur that is Salamonie.

I alway felt connected to this place, a mysticism, a closeness to nature and all she stands for. The flute touched my lips. My fingers choose notes at random. The music came straight from the heart. The notes echoed back from the gorge and time stopped with the feel of magic magnified by the haunting music of the flute. Just nature, the music, and me.

I played maybe five or ten minutes when the flute became quiet, but the magic stayed until I once more mounted Terra, crossed the top of the gorge and continued on my way... until next time.

Sounds like a wood land pixie day. Rejuvenating I am sure.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
RH, you should put in a pic of the flute, and also of the case you made for it!

EZ2SPOT
I did not know you played the flute, and it sounds like a nice one too. I love the sound of a wooden flute out in nature.

'plash
I bet the whole experience was mystical and peaceful. Enjoying the beauty of the woods along with your flute just sounds nice hope to hear and see you soon.
BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
quote:
Originally posted by puddleplasher

I did not know you played the flute, and it sounds like a nice one too. I love the sound of a wooden flute out in nature.

'plash

I bought it back in August at an Indian Powwow and just love it. I'd been looking at them for a year or two and finally took the plunge. Of course playing clarinet from 4th grade through my senior year in high school helped tremendously [Wink]. I try to take it with me on trail rides and had the rocky gorge in mind for a spot to play. This was the first time I was able to do so.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
EZ & Hook have both requested pics of my flute and bag some time ago. But my 'puter hasn't been working well for some time. I hope I now have the problem fixed and now am able to post the requested pics:

First are pics of the front and back of the flute bag I crocheted. In these pics, the flute is in the bag:

[Image: NativeAmericanFlute001.jpg]

[Image: NativeAmericanFlute002.jpg]

And now the flute with the bag:

[Image: NativeAmericanFlute003.jpg]

Thought you might like to see how the shoulder strap works for easy transport:

[Image: NativeAmericanFlute007.jpg]

And yes, I do play it just like this [Smile]:

[Image: NativeAmericanFlute009.jpg]

I thought this pic let you see the fetish a little better. That's the piece carved like the head of a hawk. After all this particular flute is called "The Sparrow Hawk". (That's my old desk 'puter [Wink]):

[Image: NativeAmericanFlute011.jpg]

--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Now that is sure one nice flute. I am not sure what I expected but your flute is larger than I thought.

The workmanship looks extremely good and the case you made suits it very well.

Thanks for posting the pictures. Now we need to hear a you play it. A short video would do. [^]
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Now that is sure one nice flute. I am not sure what I expected but your flute is larger than I thought.

The workmanship looks extremely good and the case you made suits it very well.

Thanks for posting the pictures. Now we need to hear a you play it. A short video would do. [^]

All High Spirit flutes are made from one solid piece of wood in the Native American tradition. Mine is middle-of-the-road in size. The bass flutes are hugh. The smaller the flute, the higher the pitch. The larger, the deeper they get. The smallest flute I've seen is only 7 or 8 inches long and called a pocket flute. The biggest is over 2 1/2 feet long and called a contra bass.

I'm not sure how to take a video... and I'm still learning my way around when it comes to playing. I hit wrong notes and squeak on occasion when I don't play a note correctly. But I get better every time I play [Smile][Wink].

If you would like to hear some flute music, try a search for either "Douglas Blue Feather" or "Odell Sorg" (He's the spokes person for High Spirit flutes.). You can listen to the experts play short pieces of music there for free.
--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown