Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ways to Help Your Horse Beat the Heat
RH,

If you mean what I mentioned about washing a horse in hot humid weather, I think if you use a sweat scraper and get all you can off, it's okay. Soaking a horse down then just turning them out is what might cause the problem.

I offer both free flowing white salt and mineral salt and they eat way more mineral salt than white. Joe isn't stalled at night but since his lamitis episode, I do keep him in the lot next to the barn at night so he doesn't stuff his face all night. Some mornings he is standing in the back part & other mornings he's stretched out snoozing in the open.

I don't think horses that are just loafing whether in the sun or in shade will have any problems in the heat as long as they have water.

OR we could get our horses to do what this one does:

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-638406?hpt=hp_bn1

[Big Grin]
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
PG, I like the idea of teaching them to use the shower to cool down on those hot days. Made a start the other night when watering down the dust in the indoor arena.

Flyer walked through it twice and was starting to get the hang of it. I think the trick is to set it up where they gather just outside the door to the barn waiting to get in at night. I will keep you posted. 'course it may take a while to teach them to turn it on and off but Profit will probably take over that job. [Big Grin]
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
quote:
Originally posted by PaintGal

RH,

If you mean what I mentioned about washing a horse in hot humid weather, I think if you use a sweat scraper and get all you can off, it's okay. Soaking a horse down then just turning them out is what might cause the problem.

I offer both free flowing white salt and mineral salt and they eat way more mineral salt than white. Joe isn't stalled at night but since his lamitis episode, I do keep him in the lot next to the barn at night so he doesn't stuff his face all night. Some mornings he is standing in the back part & other mornings he's stretched out snoozing in the open.

I don't think horses that are just loafing whether in the sun or in shade will have any problems in the heat as long as they have water.

OR we could get our horses to do what this one does:

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-638406?hpt=hp_bn1

[Big Grin]

Thanks, PG. I appreciate the reply. I guess I should've said that I don't spray them direct from the hose. I have a turn-off valve on my hose that I put on fine spray (hard mist?) when spraying Dove and Terra. I know Terra usually likes it more than Dove.

I was just beginning to think I didn't know what I was talking about [B)][Smile].
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
One thing to remember about water is that it is a "heat conductor". This is why when you hose a horse down when it is hot, you want to use a sweat scraper to get the bulk of the water off.

Horses are suceptible to heat stroke on extremely hot, humid days, even if they are simply standing tin the pasture. As WTW points out, you need to be attentive to your horse's respirations and sweat patterns on these hot days of summer.
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader