Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stumbling horse UPDATE9-8-11
Thank goodness she is already getting better. What are you giving her for the EPM? A friend of mine has a Fox Trotter that she is pretty sure has EPM (tests will be done this week), and she has heard a lot of conflicting info regarding treatment.

EZ2SPOT
The medicine is pyrimethamine/sulfadiazine 500mg/10gm/30gm bulk powder.My vet and alot of others say the test cost more than the treatment and are not real accurate the best being a deep tissue sample that is painful and expensive! It is a 3 month treatment given daily over her food.Needless to say my Gotone is getting a little round from eating grain daily and not getting ridden!
BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
Thanks, Beth, I will pass this info on to my friend! It might not be EPM; who knows? This mare was taken to a trainer recently, and started carrying her head to one side, for no apparent reason. She will be checked out by a chiropractor, to rule out that type of problem, before starting any treatment for EPM.

EZ2SPOT
quote:
Originally posted by EZ2SPOT

Thanks, Beth, I will pass this info on to my friend! It might not be EPM; who knows? This mare was taken to a trainer recently, and started carrying her head to one side, for no apparent reason. She will be checked out by a chiropractor, to rule out that type of problem, before starting any treatment for EPM.

EZ2SPOT

That's what Warrior started doing when he first got EPM. EPM attacks in two different ways. One is the spine and creates stumbling and falling. The other is an attack on the brain. Warrior had it in the brain, and it caused him to hold his head sideways and started him walking in circles. It's exactly the same parasite. It just depends on what part of the body it attacks.

Our problem with Warrior was he had uveitus too. So we thought he was walking in circles due to a vision problem. By the time we discovered it was EPM, it was too late.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
So very glad the treatment is working!!
South West Illinois

When someone shows you who they are,...believe them. ~Maya Angelou
Had to ride her yesterday to give evaluation to vet.Boy was I nervous as nobdy was available to ride with me and last ride she broke my ribs! Are you ready for this? No stumbling, spooking or bucking!! My girl is almost back to her old self! Yahoo!!
BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
Hooray!
Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
Great! Hopefully the problem is behind her now... and your problem, too!
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

So pleased for you and Gotone, I have to confess I don't know what EPM is so am now going off to google.
Well done you for knowing what it is and what to do.
Hope all goes well from now on
Annie
No foot - No horse
That is great News. Good work BethAnn.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson