Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strangles in the barn we're in lock down
Man...that has GOT to be rough! I've not gone through something like that, and hope never will. Sounds like you've been VERY careful, and I know that we're ALL waiting to hear the "all clear" from you and that your animals made it through with out getting sick.
quote:
Some animals that are sick have received the strangles vaccine and then my doc does not include it in the yearly protocol of shots so we skip it. They have run the spectrum of really down and out sick (vaccinated horses) to mild coughing and runny nose.

So if I understand you correctly, the horses that are sicker, HAD received the vaccine?...and your vet doesn't give it? Do the rest of you guys on the forum not vaccinate for strangles also? Just wondering if different areas follow different protocols...

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Of the horses in quarantine the sickest ones, 3 total (1=3 yr old, 2-late teens) did get vaccinated for Strangles are part of their shot routine. A few others that were vaccinated have mild symptoms. All of these are not being medicated and the vets (multiple clinics) are having them work through it. They may get bute for comfort etc. The others who have symptoms have not been vaccinated. Those horses are on SMZ's (sulpha) drugs. Some folks were saying their vets were of the thinking that if you vaccinate then the horse may have a milder reaction. I can't say what I am seeing supports that.
Laurie
Andalusians NW,
Ridgefield, WA
Green+Green=black & blue(treasure the knowledge of an experienced horse)
hmmmm, makes me kind of wonder why we DO vaccinate for it. I will have to ask my vets TRUE thoughts on the subject.

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska

In 2004 the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (ACVIM) put out a consensus statement on management and treatment of strangles. Well worth reading especially if you are dealing with an episode.

https://www.acvim.org/uploadedFiles/Cons...angles.pdf

Andalusn, I know your horses aren't currently sick (thank goodness!) but if they do get sick please have a look at the consensus statement. I know I mentioned this before but please be aware that simply spraying the horses hooves is unlikely to provide anything but a false sense of security. Unless you are scrubbing the feet to remove all organic material first the bleach will not work reliably. Same thing for stalls, buckets.... S equi is an amazing tough customer it can survive up to 63 days on wood and survives on glass for 48 days at 68 degrees !!! However, sunlight kills it rather rapidly so if you can walk or lunge your horses out in the sunlight (rather than the arena) you'd be better off.

The consensus statement also addresses sulfa drugs (Smz/Tmp) vs penicillin. Procaine penicillin is the preferred drug because "S equi is consistently sensitive to it." There is no known resistance. As the article points out penicillin is only used in the very early stages of strangles. Once the abscesses have formed antibiotics are of little use and may be contraindicated.

Potentiated sulfa drugs (also referred to as trimethoprim sulfas or TMP/SMZ or TMP/SDZ tablets)are often used because they are inexpensive, can be given orally, and have a fairly wide spectrum of activity. However, they are not a good first choice for Strangles cases. Streptococcal organisms, like Strangles, can develop resistance to these drugs. This caution is even part of the warnings in the drug insert. IMO if I'm going to treat strangles I want to use a drug that's 100% effective even if it costs me more.

I hope your horses remain symptom free but if your horses do get sick you may want to discuss these issues with your vet.

I'd be curious to know if all the vaccinated horses received the vaccine IM(Shot)or intranasal?

I am so sorry you have to deal with this, strangles is a real PITA. I've been through it and it's not fun and drags on forever. I so hate being a boarder sometimes!

<'\__~
_(( // ====