Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mustang Trim/Natural Trim vs Traditional Trim
quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Congratulations on finding a qualified Barefoot trimmer. It sounds a lot like the trim I have used with good success on our guys for the last year or so. If you could post a picture or two it would add to the knowledge base of the forum.

Aaaaw SHUCKS - another tough assignment. Guess I owe to the community. Should have gotten some "before" shots, too late now. She only did a very minor first adjustment - gave the toes more breakover, leveled the walls with the sole and took down the sides where they were pushing the coronary bands up. Trying to get his elongated feet more round. It looks worlds different to me, but then I've been worrying about that boy's feet so much. Going in an hour to cut cows in the freezing wind... will report back. Thanks again for all your encouragement and knowledge!
Arenadirt, I am so glad you're benefitting from a natural trim as well. That is why this is a great forum, we all learn from each other.

Joe just had a trim today and is on a 6 week schedule again. His feet look so GREAT it is a relief. It has been so muddy so I don't have any pictures, but I wll try to get some soon to show how good his feet look.

The 'farrier' is amazed at how quickly Joe's feet grow. His stretched white line is getting smaller and smaller.

I also noticed on my post about the oats I said the horses were getting 80 oz! I meant to type 8 ounces, as in one cup. [:I] Joe doesn't get the sunflower seeds, he doesn't need the fat, but he and Rocky get ground flax seed with their oats. Hubby thinks Joe has lost weight, but from one day to the next you can't tell, he is just so fluffy with his winter hair.

Yahoos Equine Cushings group is very informative about IR and Cushings. They have an emergency diet that you can start your horse on that has really helped many horses. The amount of info available there is amazing, and takes a while to get through, but well worth it if you suspect IR or Cushings. I have had to change Montes diet up a bit. Senior feeds are just too rich for him and he was going lame. He now gets Purinas Wellsolve WC, and it has made a big difference, and he is losing some of his haybelly too.
A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

An update with Pic's.

Joe's feet continue to grow at a surprising rate.

His feet however look very good. I am so pleased and his stretched white line is getting smaller and smaller each visit.

Their feet were trimmed on the 31st and here are some before and afters.

Joe 8/08

[Image: DSC_0003b.jpg]

Joe 3/09
[Image: DSC_0013-3.jpg]

RB in 10/08

[Image: DSC_00062.jpg]

RB 3/09

[Image: DSC_0023.jpg]

RF 10/08

[Image: DSC_0064.jpg]

RF 3/09

[Image: DSC_0026.jpg]

LB 10/08

[Image: DSC_0054.jpg]

LB 3/09

[Image: DSC_0017-1.jpg]

LF 10/08

[Image: DSC_0059.jpg]

LF 3/09

[Image: DSC_0014-3.jpg]

Joe is back on a 5 week schedule because of the fast growth of his feet. I reminded her that June is usually when the breaking and chipping occurs. I am pretty confident that with this trim he won't be doing any of that nonsense. Well see.

Another great set of photos ILJ. What an improvement!!.[^]

I hope you gave the Natural trim farrier a good tip.[Big Grin]
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
His feet are BEA-UTIFUL Colleen
Wendi
[url="http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pnfoRs6vqud-JpZvz-_9EQw"]Wendi's Riding Log[/url]

Very distinct before and after pics! You have a great farrier.
[Smile]

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Thanks for the pictures Candice. Did you happen to get a shot of the bottom of Snicker's foot after the trim.

Joe is fortunate to have her working on his feet. When are you going to start doing them yourself?

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Thanks for the pictures Candace. Did you happen to get a shot of the bottom of Snicker's foot after the trim.

Joe is fortunate to have her working on his feet. When are you going to start doing them yourself?

First I don't have the back to trim feet. I would be stuck bent over in pain after the first hoof.

Great pictures, Candace! This is such an important topic for us as horse owners, thank you for sharing with all of us.

I love the kitty paperweight! My back isn't the best for this kind of work either, when I spend a lot of time scrubbing out Montes feet, I can feel it the next day. However, I've started practicing yoga and I'm telling you, the difference is amazing! [Smile]
A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC