Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wet Blankets
"Better to be cautious and live to ride another day"... there's a sentiment to live by! RH's expansion on what is useful ground work versus "letting the horse win" is a perfect example. Doing that sort of groundwork will only improve future rides. What I'd add is that there are other times to get off the horse that have nothing to do with misbehavior, and everything to do with caution, that can also be learning experiences for the horse. You may encounter something on the trail that you think your horse *might* balk at, that might be hazardous if they did, and opt to lead the horse over or through it instead of risking the potential hazard of staying on a balky horse.

I'm thinking of a narrow railing-less bridge over some marshy ground I encountered once. The lead horse balked at it and stepped off-trail into deep marshy terrain, which spooked her more; rather than escalate the situation, I oped to get off Pepper, who was quite calm except for having another horse back up into her, and lead her directly and purposefully over the bridge, which the other horse then followed. Both horses (hopefully) learned that there was nothing scary there, certainly not as alarming as that deep mud on the side. And we avoided having a horse spook and step off the edge of the bridge itself, which could have been more serious. (And when we got back to the bridge on the return trip, both horses marched right over it with nothing more than extra-pricked ears... yay for them!) Sometimes it's better to head off a fight than to fight it.

Um, what does this have to do with Bethany's original thread? I guess it ties back to reading your horse's frame of mind, and making your own decision about how to ride based on that, rather than on someone else's rule that may not apply right at that moment. And maybe something about leadership with your horse, too... you don't have to be on top to be in charge. (... [:I] ...)

'plash
quote:
Originally posted by puddleplasher
[br]"Better to be cautious and live to ride another day"...

you don't have to be on top to be in charge. (... [:I] ...)

'plash

A couple of very good training tips for us all. Good thing to remember when things are not going well.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson