Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Fence question
After years saving and searching I finally move into my first horse property!!! As soon as I pull out the barbed wire and replace it with safe fencing I'll bring one of my horses over. I'm considering electric fencing but one question has always haunted me: What happens if a horse bites an electric wire? Are they able to then open their mouths if receiving the shock? Thanks.
We've always used electric fencing here at our place and have never had a horse try to bite it. Actually, I've never even considered the possibility, and we've had electric fencing for the 16 years we've had horses here. I've never heard of this happening from anyone else either. So, I really don't think it's anything to worry about[Smile][Wink].

Also, I'm sure they would be zapped long before they could even think about closing their mouth on it even if they did think about biting it[Wink].

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Never heard of this happening either. I don't really think you have to worry about it. Even if the horse did bite down and couldn't release, they would probably jump back and break the fence. In my opinion, electric tape or electric rope would be the way to go instead of wire. More expensive, but much safer for the horse, and much more visible to them. And in that case, it probably wouldn't hurt their mouth either.
I really don't think you have to worry about that Linda.
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

I can't answer for whether a horse would ever bite a fence, or whether the shock would prevent them letting go, but I do know a little about electric fences from personal experience.

When I was growing up, the family of a neighbor friend raised a few sheep. The pastures were fenced with elecrified barbed wire. Because it was for sheep, the low strand was very low to the ground and the fence charge was set pretty high - the better for a well- wooled sheep to actually notice.

One fine summer day, we were tearing around the farm doing whatever little boys do - I can't remember exactly, but I'm sure it involved sticks. At any rate, we were in jeans and tee shirts, it was hot, and we were working up a good sweat, the way you do when there's a backlog of stick whacking to get at. At one point, the running around involved going down on our bellies and slithering under that fence.

Well, I snagged that tee shirt full of salty sweat on a barb of that fence.

Now the part that might be relevant to the original question. Yes, I can see where the shock might be enough to interfere with muscle coordination, a little anyway. It did for me - not that I couldn't move, but I couldn't move well. But, the good news is that the current is not constant, it pulses. So, in my experience, for every half second or so that you lie there twitching, you get a half second to try and get free before the next pulse.

Next time, given the choice, I think I'll just bite it.
AE
Thanks everyone. I'd forgotten that the current pulses. I do want to use the 2" thick ribbon or rope if I go with electric. Sorry this is rushed, but this morning is moving time.
Linda
Oh boy! Let us know when you get there!
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Electric fence is all I've ever had.....the horses can hear it and sense it, even if they do touch it I don't think they'd have time to ever bite it!!! My mules totally respect the fence they constantly stand at least 1/2 a foot away at all times. I think its the best!
Gypsy my mare
<><
Cowgirl UP!
Ride 2 live, live 2 ride

"And anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
Act 2:21 NLT

Thanks Tuffy. Talk about sensing it, once I was in the pasture where I am boarding. I accidentally got zapped on a finger by the electric fence. The horse came up to me and would not stop sniffing the finger that got zapped. There were no burns, but he could sense which one it was. I found that interesting.
Linda