Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weight Gain & Riding Skills
Didn't see anyone else answer it but: GTA is Ground Thumpers Anonymous... [Smile]

'plash
quote:
Originally posted by puddleplasher

Didn't see anyone else answer it but: GTA is Ground Thumpers Anonymous... [Smile]

'plash

Here is a link to one of the GTA topics.

http://www.dailyequine.com/forums/topic....IC_ID=5127

And a Forum link as well to a lot of them plus DEHAA.[8D]

http://www.dailyequine.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=22
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

I just read a very interesting book;

Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease (Hardcover)
by Gary Taubes (Author)

It really does challenge conventional doctrine about weight loss and diets.

It basically recommends elimination of sugar and refined carbohydrates because they stimulate excessive insulin production which tells the body to store fat. Incorporating more fat in your diet actually results in the reduction of fat cells regardless of calorie intake.

I ( we) were so impressed we have been trying it and it is resulting in a reduction in fat with a corresponding gradual reduction in weight. So Far so good.

I have to buy another because I gave my copy to our favourite nutritional doctor.

A bit technical to read but well worthwhile to shake up your common (mis)conceptions about weight loss and dieting and what your body needs to be healthy from a fact based new perspective.

Hook,
Thanks for the info on the book! I'd first read something about that method online a few months ago and it certainly makes sense. I appreciate the tip. I've tried everything over 40 years and the only thing that has worked is starvation. [cornfused
Linda
Another book you may want to check out that has helped me immensely is "Protein Power" by Michael R. Eades, M.D. & Mary Dan Eades, M.D. It sure opened up my eyes about dieting and related health problems.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
I was in your position 3 years ago when after being out of horses bought my first riding horse. I realized the only thing that would help would be to lose the pounds. Over the last year i lost 60lbs on south beach diet. There are a lot of plans out there but it is heart healthy and is based on the glycemic index and utilizes the good carbs theory. You will be surprised what it does for your riding. I thought when I was riding it was the horse or it was my age(I'm 46) but no it was my shape and fitness level. It brings fun to a whole new level.
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Hook

An exercise ball really helps with the balance. Just sit on it, pick your feet off the floor, and balance. When you are starting out make sure the couch is behind you so you don't tip over backwards. Better yet put your helmet on first before mounting up.

We watched Stacey Westfall do a clinic last year and that was one of her suggestions.

Then when you get good at balancing, lay with your legs on top of the ball and do pushups.

When you are riding, posting correctly really helps with the balance. Then, when you get a bit stronger drop your stirrups and keep posting. The pounds will just drop off - either that or your legs will. [}Smile][Tongue]

I came "back to horses" after 25 years and 30 pounds. What seemed to help me were the fitness classes I had been taking. Most of us in class are over 40 and our instructor believes all over 40's need to work on balance, strength, and flexibility. She added an exercise ball to our routines about 2 years ago. We all had good laughs as we fell off the ball the first few times. But the more we used it, the better, and stronger, we got. Really improves your core strength. There are also exercises you can do for hips and thighs. All good for riding those ponies![Big Grin]
quote:
Originally posted by paintedbliss

I was in your position 3 years ago when after being out of horses bought my first riding horse. I realized the only thing that would help would be to lose the pounds. Over the last year i lost 60lbs on south beach diet. There are a lot of plans out there but it is heart healthy and is based on the glycemic index and utilizes the good carbs theory. You will be surprised what it does for your riding. I thought when I was riding it was the horse or it was my age(I'm 46) but no it was my shape and fitness level. It brings fun to a whole new level.

Paintedbliss,
Thanks for the input. Did you happen to feel that no saddle felt right? That your legs would go backwards when posting? It's a whole different feeling!
Linda