Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crikey whats up with Sam
Well most of you know i was only just getting back into riding when i got Sam and then havent been riding him for ages well today everytime we went into a canter he starting doing some bucking (um remember i cant ride) i could pull him up as we were in a smallish yard but what am i meant to do???
this is what i did do and i dont know why maybe its what i did many many many years ago each time he started with the little bucks i would stop him and back him up pretty quickly and firmly (not nasty though) after a few times he seemed to get the message that it was easier to not buck so after a couple of times of being good i stopped got off and patted him and finished up
is what i did ok he seemed to sit up and listen to me a bit more
Naturally, the first thing to check would be your riding equipment. Is there something stuck in the saddle pad that could be poking him when you add your weight to the saddle? Is the saddle pinching him anywhere or sitting too low on his back? Is there a rough spot on the bit that may be causing him discomfort in the mouth or any part of it that may be pinching him?

Once this is all ruled out, it could be he's just full of energy after not being ridden for so long a time. If this is the case, I'd lunge him a bit to take off that edge and to get him focusing back on me.

As far as what you did to correct the problem from the saddle... you did quite well, but I would consider lunging or some ground work excercises before you ride the next time to get his attention returned to you[Wink].
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Thanks Redhawk
thing is with Sam he used to do clinics ect all his life and lunging ect is fine with him its allmost like he is on auto pilot and just does what he knows he is meant to do, do you think i need to change things around for him and get him actually thinking (does that make sence)
If he had wanted to really get me off he couldve as im not to flash at riding but it was more like "im sick of this and i will just let you know it" if what i did was ok then i will remember to do it in future if it happens again
I guess the good side to this is he didnt scare me it was like all i thought of was "what are you doing you dill" and even though i new he would probabley do it again each time a asked for a canter i was still confidant enough to do it so i am happy in that respect
I think saddle and bridle are ok but i can try with the saddle we have for Donald and see how he goes but it wont be till the weekend as i have to work
When a horse hasn't been ridden in a long time, the weight of a saddle & rider is bound to feel strange and uncomfortable to them. No wonder a lot of them don't exactly like it!

When my horses haven't been ridden in awhile, such as after a winter lay-off, I take things slowly and gradually with them...even my older horse. For example, I might saddle up & do groundwork & lungeing one day, & might not even get on. The next day, I'll get on, but stay in a walk. Then move up to trotting & cantering later on.

A slow approach also helps to prevent the injuries that often come when a horse is put back into use after a long vacation. How many times have I read on this forum something like..."My horse wasn't ridden for a long time and now that I'm riding he/she is lame..." and so on.

Spots, if what you did solved the problem, then sounds like you reacted in the right way. Best thing is to prevent him from bucking, if you can.

EZ2SPOT
Excellent advice, EZ, and you're right on the money.

Spots; You may want to go over the lunging sticky listed here in "The Beginning Rider". It will give you tips on how to wake up your horse on the lunge line by mixing up your cues to the horse. It goes beyond just letting your horse get out on the end of the lunge line and start going around in circles. Please forgive me if you already know this. My gelding Dove would go on autopilot, too, if I'd let him, but I know how to keep him guessing as to what I might ask him to do next on the end of that line. It keeps the lunging interesting and exciting for the horse and the handler. I hope you'll take a look at the lunging sticky. I'm sure it would really help you out.
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
I most certainly will check it out as we are looking at different ways to lunge Donald as well as we dont want him getting bored .
we are also going to get some drums and poles ect for working with too.. You know when i made him back up ect like i did it was as if i woke him up from whatever it was he was expecting to be doing
Thanks EZ and Redhawk look out for the silly questions i ask after reading the post
i did some lunging yesterday and today and rode today also. his canter was really rough and im not sure if he was trying to do some sort of baby bucks or not he would try getting his head down ect but eventually he seemed better
While sitting on him outside the smaller yard i decided to trot up and down the paddock he is really tuned into what he thinks your going to ask as soon as i prepared for a canter he felt it and straight off into one bit bumpy at first then after trotting and cantering ect he got much smoother
I had to keep changing my routine as he would think ahead and try and do whatever he had just done in the same spot
Do you suggest i keep doing what im doing and see if he smooths out more??? i didnt feel unsafe on him but i what do you suggest to slow up his pace a little ??
I'd say what you're doing seems to be working, just it'll be slow. Here's my guess: Sam sounds like he's got a lot of energy to burn off, combined with a lack of practice at keeping his paces smooth and coordinated, and the combination is giving you both some pretty bumpy rides -- the fact that he's smoothing out as you continue during a session seems like both he's getting some of the energy burned off, and he's remembering his coordination too. If you can make it through the bumps, and tell him in no uncertain terms that bucks are NOT acceptable, it sounds like you're eventually getting to some smooth gaits.

The "keep changing my routine" bit that you mention is a game I play a lot with my horse, and it really helps her pay attention to what I'm asking and not anticipate too much. It's basically making lots of changes in gait or in direction, trying to never do it in the same place and to not always do it for the same number of steps (not always trotting for ten paces, for example, or not always asking for a canter on a straight part of the arena). That will hopefully get his mind more on what you're asking for and less on whatever he feels like doing. His anticipating what you'll want sounds like he's a smart horse -- so keep his mind busy. [Smile]

'plash
Yes!!! Plasher has said what I've been trying to say. Very well put. This is what I was suggesting to do on the lunge line so if Sam wants to buck, he would do it on the lunge and not when you swing a leg over his back and ride him.

Horses should wait until the rider tells them what to do. They shouldn't try to do anything until then. Changing the routine and keeping them guessing makes them learn to wait until they recieve your cues before they do anything. Even if it's something I originally had in mind, if my horse tries to beat me to the punch, I'll change it to something I hadn't already planned to do. Then, maybe later on in the session, I'll go back to whatever it was I wanted him to do when he out guessed me.

The key is to never let a horse do something on their own. Any well trained horse should always either first ask the rider/handler if it's okay to do something or wait for the rider/handler to tell them what to do next. This should be the same whether you are riding, doing ground work, or just the day to day routine around & with your horse.

--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Thanks Puddleplasher and Red Hawk for your reply
on the lunge he is great does what you ask ect as soon as you ask (allthough he is anticipating what i ask) but more as a routine not because he was actually listening (thanks Redhawk for helping me see this)so when i do it now i may make him trot faster instead of just trotting without meaning then slow him up
Plash after i kept doing different stuff and trotting ect and cantering in different spots he was settling down so more of that indeed
He is a clever old boy so im also presuming me being not so good at riding i am amplifying my cues (if that makes sense) and he is picking up on it like before i ask for a canter i think about it then i might move a bit in the saddle or make sure i have a good grip on the reins probably lean forward a little and he thinks ok lets canter
He is SOLID (ok fat) so i also think he is just not too cordinated (after not being ridden for so long)and needs to slowly get that back as well
I have been watching him in the paddock and he looks a little stiff when cantering ect so im going to give him some joint food (will start a new topic for the one)
Again thanks heaps its great to come back here and update and get advice