Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Promising Future for Horse Health
Read an interesting article in yesterday's Lexington Herald-Leader. The Gluck Center at UK is mapping out the horse genome. Once this is done, many horse diseases and illnesses can be battled on a new level. This is GREAT news for the horse industry!

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.kentucky.com/454/story/260482.html

Fascinating study. I wonder how and when it will affect us as Hobby horse owners.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Just as quickly as it will affect anyone else, I suppose. Hobby horse owners fall into the same ownership and management categories as any horse operation. This being said, however, affiliation with notable equine veterinarian practices would most likely bring you into a better position to have your horses benefit from any study and/or results from this project more quickly. Practices such as Lexington's Rood & Riddle and/or university practices, such as Purdue University will be on the cutting edge once the genome mapping is completed.

I am very excited about the work going on at Gluck. Horses are going to benefit greatly from their efforts.
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Great news for the industry and don't get me wrong because I'm a science/technology lover (as most of you know!) but there is a double edge to the sword.

Hook asked when it will affect the average hobby horse owner..... HELLOO?[wave] as an owner with a horse with HYPP it's already affected me. I can't give my horse away because she carries a gene that MIGHT be a problem. No matter that she has no symptoms now, nor ever has, no matter that she's a very nicely trained mare.... It all counts for nothing. I'm not complaining, I'll keep her forever if need be! But what is great news for the industry as a whole kinda isn't great at an individual level.

The initial focus of this genome project has been on some high profile genetic diseases: Severe Combined Immunodeficiency Disease (SCID) in Arabians, hyperkalemic periodic paralysis (HYPP) of Quarter Horses, Lethal White Syndrome of Paint horses and the latest one is hereditary equine regional dermal asthenia (HERDA). But focus will move (and has moved) to things like laminitis, heaves and EVA all of which are thought to have strong genetic components. So what if YOUR horse carries the gene (or combination of genes) that make it more prone to laminitis????[cornfused Or your beloved Appy has the gene for EVA??? Trust me, its gonna suck.

The DNA tests are cheap, I think I paid $50. That means they are going to become a part of the pre-purchase exam probably much sooner than we expect.

The horse genome a cause for excitement, maybe...celebration? maybe not. I know in the long run we will have a healthier horse population but I wonder if we aren't at the edge of a very slippery slope?????[confused2
<'\__~
_(( // ====

Good points, sbower. I guess I'm looking at the more overall picture down the road of healthier horses. I agree that it isn't going to help those owners who currently have horses afflicted with these genetic diseases when it comes time to selling them. But for the bigger picture of how it is going to benefit all breeds, the outlook is much brighter.
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader