Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More questions
quote:
Originally posted by Saddletramp

My horses are in the barn at night, but not for human-related security reasons. I usually have an older horse or two here, and the one has beginning signs of cataracts. He does not appear to feel secure enough to lay down at night if he is outside. The other reason that my horses are in the barn at night is predators. While the largest predetors that we have are coyotes, they WILL run the horses, or the horses will run THEM. I don't want to go out some morning and find that the horses had been run thru the fence.

Bringing them in at night allows for individual feeding and no chance of fighting over feed. Yes, they *could* go back out after feeding, but for the reasons above, I keep them in at that point.

At least in our area, reducing exposure to Potomac Horse Fever is another reason for stabling at night. They finally nailed the vector for the disease - the pathogen lives in snail larva, and is picked up by dragonfly/damselfly nymphs when they eat the snail larva. Then the adult fly dies and falls in forage/fodder and your horse swallows it with the hay - and you end up with a seriously, possibly life threateningly sick horse. Vaccine is only so-so effective at prevention, so now the recommendation is to keep horses indoors at night and reduce/eliminate any outdoor lighting around the stable to prevent attracting the flies during hatches. They recommend that you check with local fly fishermen since they are well in tune with the timing of the hatches. Serious stuff, since PHF has a 30% fatality rate. We had a serious scare with Bear 2 years ago - the vet really thought it might have been PHF initially, but turned out to be a nasty reaction to a tick bite.
AE
Wow, never heard of P H fever, what area is this in?
Ride safe, return safe.

quote:
Originally posted by mtn rider

Wow, never heard of P H fever, what area is this in?

It was first identified in Maryland in 1979, but it's recognized throughout the US now. There was a cluster of cases in Minnesota that coincided with big mayfly hatches that helped researchers pin down the way it spreads. Most horses respond if treated early - tetracycline is the drug of choice.

Here's a 2 page explanation from U of MN -- http://www.cvm.umn.edu/img/assets/9385/P...0Fever.pdf
AE
Besides Potomac Horse Fever, keeping horses inside at night cuts down on their risk of mosquito bites, which, in turn, should lessen the risk of other mosquito-borne diseases such as West Nile and EIA. My horses are vaccinated against West Nile (although no vaccine is 100% effective), but there is no vaccine for EIA, so I think it pays to be careful and keep the exposure to mosquitos as low as possible.

We have coyotes here, but they so far have not bothered the horses. Loose dogs are another story. There is a hefty fine here for letting dogs run loose, so what to people do? Just turn them out at night, when they figure nobody will be the wiser!

EZ2SPOT
AE; Thanks for the link. Mrs Hook says (she know these things) there has been some cases in PHF in Southern Ontario as well.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson