Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ringworm
What's your story about ringworm?

whimzy and Duncan
Welll....There once was a little worm named Bert. He didn't like to be stright and being wiggly gave him a kink in the neck so he decided make himself into a circle so that he was a 'well rounded fella'. The other worms thought him odd and ask him if he wanted to be the Worm of the Rings. He said nope I just want to be a Ringworm.
That's my story about Ringworm. Wink

But all silliness aside the only time I have dealt with it was on Harm the Bull. He had a small spot above one eye. I treated it a few times with Blue Kote and made sure he got as much sun as we get up here in the winter time and ie cleared right up.
I like Stormie's story.

Once upon a time....I had a job as a farm manager (I was also the only employee) and I cared for 17 horses, 13 of them thoroughbreds. Well ALLL the horses that were not STALLIONS and there were five stallions, were left out in the pasture with no hay or grain or other basic care. When I first started working there 4 of the horses had ringworm very badly and I had to give them medicated baths and the vet also had me put Captan on them. Captan is the active ingredient in some dust for plants, I would assume a fungicide, but it has been many years since this story occured, so bear with me.

The vet who was a big man with many nose hairs, instructed me to wash the horses with the medicated shampoo (it was green) and to leave it on the horses for 10 minutes and to scrub off the lumpy loose skin. That was gross. It was kinda pretty where the pustules had been, they were lined with black and the center was nice bright red flesh. But getting them off was Heck for me and the horse.

I added water to the captan to make a paste and applied it to the nasty affected areas. I think however I did not apply it to the bare skin, but to the lumpy parts that were not loosened up enough to pull off.

After a few weeks the hair was all growing back, the horses were getting hay and grain and groomed (by the only employee) and everyone lived happily ever after...or until I quit working there 3 years later and most of the horses were sold at auction. But for three years they all lived happily and well loved.

The End

Lol stormie! Bert??
Sorry this is lengthy but it really happened and people should be aware.
This is my story, gross but true.

Years ago when I was working at a riding stable, a very very clean stable the horses were well taken care of and in top form.
The owner as well as teacher and mentor of many kids and adults used to trailer off her best horses and advanced riders to horse shows every year.
She knew the owners of the other stables and the condition. She would bring horses anywhere if there was a problem with any of her horses or the places they may use while at the show. As you know things can become hectic and confusing when you are going to show.
Two of the kids shared the same girth; no big deal except one of the horses came down with ringworm. In the beginning the vet had come out to see why one of the horses had girth sores so time was lost in treating that horse when the vet said to soak the horse’s sores in Betadine and water. (Guess who got that job) It looked like the horse had gotten a girth sore somehow. I soaked the horse 30 minutes twice a day and was to pull off the old scabs. (I told ya it was gross! ) @¿@

It hurt the horse and at the same time it was supposed to help him. Being summer the horses of course would sweat, and every time this horse would sweat from the heat (he was not ridden or exercised for the duration of his illness because he would get worse.) The next horse came down with it a few days later. Finally after a week of me soaking this poor baby and pulling scabs my hands got itchy and burned. I ignored it thinking it was from the Betadine. A few days went by and my hands were getting worse and worse. I went to my doctor who told me I had ringworm. I said ringworm how did I get that?? (Duhhh) still thinking that the horse had a girth sore. She reassured me it was ringworm and that it was a skin fungus. I was easily treated but it took a long time.
She told me what it looked like and then I realized where I got it. From soaking the horses! I called my boss right away who in turn called the vet and he came out and was shocked at the condition of the 2 horses. Immediately he said it is not just a girth sore it was ringworm. (By that time my sister kept saying,
there’s a Fungus Amungus lol) It took me weeks to get rid of it and I was very happy I did not have to soak the horses, but the story gets worse! About half the horses came down with it!!!!!!
We had 26 horses at that stable! We finally found out why the horses that did not attend the show came down with ringworm which had been a puzzle in itself.. The Vet pointed out that the girth covers (we called them "fuzzies") were being passed around from class to class and reused. The tack would come off, and be cleaned meanwhile the fuzzies were either hung up to dry out or were reused in the next class. No one thought about sharing the fuzzies because this kind of thing had never happened before. Thank goodness I went to my Doctor when I did or the entire stable could have been affected.
They found out that one of our horses at the show that weekend had stayed in a stall that the infected horse from another barn had used the previous week. The owner didn’t realize it was already affected when she went to that stable and thought it was just a small sore at first. She never thought to call and tell anyone about it.
The Vet told us to use bleach liberally, the barn was scrubbed down and the bleach used. We were told that ringworm can live in the dirt for about a year so we all had to be very careful.
I just felt very bad for the horses because it was quite painful. With the right medication the healed quickly and were back to being able to ride as soon as the scabs fell off (by themselves). From that day forward my boss would gather every used fuzzie after every class and wash them in soap and bleach. We never had the problem again. (All riding equipment was treated with bleach and water also then oiled.) What a lot of work but we beat it!
I got the easy job of bleaching out the tack boxes and brushes. This time I used rubber gloves!

Whimzy and my bud Duncan

&Smile
I'm glad I've never had to deal with ringworm and sure hope I never do! Good info though and something to be aware of.
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
I have girth itch go through some of the horses year one summer now I wipe down/wash all of the tack with Lyson(easy on the leather then bleach which can bleach it the tack). And inbetween I spray the girths down with Athlete's foot spray. Nothing like getting odd stares when you go to the store and get a case of Athlete's foot spray, a case Athlete's Foot Cream(for scratchs) and a case of diper rash cream(for foal's butts and scratchs). I also use the foot spray on the horse's themselves. Of course the girth itch is cleared up(don't even own those horses any more) but I still do it as a way to prevent fungus from taking hold again.
Yeah, something like ringworm, girth itch, and even rainrot will make a horse feel pretty crappy. It is pretty managable but very catchy. Re: the bleach on tack, it does work well and gets that "blech" off that can build up (don't use it stright though) but as usual you need to use a good leather cleaner after and the tack looks great. Our tack was cleaned after every rider but as you know it is not completely clean. Once a year or sometimes every 6 months we used an oil but I can't recall what it was. I didn't like it but in the long run the leather looked almost new for years. I was just reading up on the fungus problem and it says to wash everything down with one part bleach to twenty parts water. Disinfecting tack, grooming tools, stalls, fences, etc. periodically with this solution should be your first line of attack. Ok, I have never thought of washing my electric fence lol.
&Smile
Thankfully, it has been a VERY long time since I've had to deal with any of my horses having ringworm!

I sent a horse off for training, & she came back home with it because the trainer had used the same pad on her that had been used on a horse they later found had ringworm. In turn, since I didn't realize the mare had it, I used the same brushes on my gelding...who got a very severe case of it that took months to heal.

Sure hope I never see it again!

Oh, a warning concerning a case of human ringworm...several years ago, my daughter got a rash on her waist, went to the doctor, & found it was ringworm! Probably from a pair of shorts that she bought & wore without washing them first. According to the doctor, clothes made in China & some other countries often are infected with the fungus.

EZ2SPOT