Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tough horses make great teachers
To all of you:
This experience, even as frustrating as it has been, has not been a wasted one, but rather, I look at it as a pure learning opportunity. Tough horses make great teachers. And yees, I have a relly tough one. He's a thinker. I learned a lot about horses, I learned a lot about myself, and I have a lot yet to learn, but I do know more than most folks at our stable. They are always asking me for help with something.

Someday I hope to find a horse to share with me, many awesome times together. Maybe it will happen, maybe not. But here's the real truth: in my trying to get much-needed positive encouragement from all of you to keep me going and not give up on Newt, you finally told me head-on just what you thought. Though that hurt really bad, ultimately, THIS is what I really needed to hear from you. THIS is what will most likely give me the strength to accept this was never going to work no matter how much I put into it. You gave me what I really needed all along - words of wisdom in realizing it's not all my fault, you gave me encouragement in a different way, telling me I can accept what really is, what can never be, and it's okay to let it go. Now I'll need to read some happy horse stories. With my heartfelt appreciation to all of you - thank you.
It sounds like you have come to accept a hard truth. And I am very sorry that it hurts. I am sure you love Newt despite your "wars". But both of you deserve better.
It has certainly been a learning experience for you and alot of us forum members that followed along with your trials and tribulations.
Good Luck in your search for that perfect horse -for you- that you can ride the open prairie with.

Meadowinds,

Okay...here is a happy horse story. About 18 months ago, I got bucked off my fairly mellow, easy-going 3 year old gelding named Vern. I broke my hip, and was on crutches for eight weeks...and the pain was pretty darn bad. It was about the 4th time I had been dumped by Vern, but the first time I had ever gotten really hurt. I just didn't know enough about training horses to be able to give Vern the proper training he needed. And after getting hurt badfly, also knew I would always be uncomfortable and fearful when riding him--always wondering when he was going to put on another Vern rodeo. So, I made the difficult decision to sell him. Found a good home for him with an experienced rider.

Then I bought a wonderful dead-broke mare named, appropriately, Cupcake (okay, I renamed her Maggie), and over the next six months, that wonderful, sweet mare rebuilt my confidence and love for horse riding. I lost my fear of being on a horse, I became a better rider, I honed my own horsemanship skills, and felt so good about riding I did more of it than ever before...I even did some bareback riding, and rode on some VERY tough trails. Maggie got me comfortable trotting, loping, and even a couple of times a full out gallop!!...I even learned to team pen on this grand gal. She put the joy back into riding for me, and I love this mare to pieces. She is patient with me, forgiving, and does whatever she is asked. I have since given her to my 10 year old daughter, and gotten another wonderful, exceptionally easy horse named Trix.

Bottom line--having the right horses for my skill levels have made me more confident as a rider, have made riding a joy again, and I have not been hurt once since I sold Vern. Do I miss Vern? Yes. Do I regret selling him? Not for a second.

Here is a picture of my daughter and her friend on Maggie--my daughter is a timid rider, but will go anywhere with Maggie, and Maggie is building her confidence.
[Image: DSC_0015.jpg]

Here is a picture of me team penning with Maggie 7 months after I broke my hip...I had never done any cattle work before, but Maggie was an old pro at it.

[Image: TeamPen6.jpg]

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Meadowinds;

There is no one on the Forum who hasn't felt your pain and admired your determination as you went through your learning experience with Newt. I am sure that the knowledge you have gained has made you a better horse person and will serve you well in the years to come.

There has been some great posts on the Forum about the trials and tribulations of new owners and new horses and we all can relate to the process. You are not alone.

Keep us in mind as you search for your next equine partner. A lot of "been there done that" folks here that can help in the process.

Keep us in the loop and Good Luck.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
I like the name Cupcake!!! : )

My story is very much like yours only my confidence builder is named Bunny.
Sometimes the hardest lesson to learn is when to call it quit-whether it's a human or equine partnership.

Good to hear you're re-homing Newt.

Riding should be FUN !

Annie