Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP Blood in Urine!
Okay Kruz....or at least I think it is Kruz is peeing blood. His ( Or her ) urine that I am finding in the snow is discolored.....bloody color. At first I thought it could be the Sulfer tablts the Vet gave me that is discoloring his urine. ( It could be my mares though not sure yet ) Anyway I noticed it yesterday and thought that it came from my horse that died....THEN today I found another spot of it! So it is one of the horses out there. This seemed to come about after I attempted to clean the sheath....I did not get in there very deep but did get in there about 2 inches. Any thoughts? Could a Bean cause this to happen? I am having a friend that knows about horses come out today and help clean the bean thing.....What could this be? The Sulfer tabs he is getting for his cough? A reation maybe? Something I did when I attempted to clean his Sheath? He is acting normal I am getting worried. I did call the vet and he hasn't called me back yet.......My biggest question could a Bean cause this? And if I get him cleaned today what should I be looking for? Then get the Vet AGAIN???? I am so broke right now....BUT I will get him if I have to.....HELP>>>>>>!!!!!!!
Based on my experience with Joe....

IF beans are restricting his urine flow or causing irritation when he urinates, he may not be voiding his bladder and there could be a build up of crystals which can irritate the bladder and cause blood in the urine.

Have you noticed him:

Urinating more often?
Stretching to urinate and taking forever to go or not go at all?
Producing less amounts of urine when he does go?
"Hanging out" more often?

I doubt that anything you did caused the blood...if it's blood. I imagine if you hurt him enough to cause that, he'd have let you know.

Some meds will discolor urine so I suppose it might be possible that it is the sulfur meds. You might google for side effects or maybe ask the vet office.

You might collect a urine sample and take it to your vet. That would save a farm call and answer a lot of questions...or produce more!
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
Is he peeing into snow when/where you find the "blood"? What is his water intake on a daily basis? Can you up his consumption by top-dressing his feed with some salt? (Scant teaspoon a day is how much I use.)
-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Check through this post. There is some good information at the last about coloured urine.

http://www.dailyequine.com/forums/topic....IC_ID=4319
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Hi Everyone...it is confirmed that it is not Kruz that is passing blood in the urine I watched him go this afternoon and he is fine so that means...It is my Mare "Belle". I called my vet and he said not to worry about it as long as she is acting fine????????? I read a few things about too much alfalpha??? I am still very worried. Yes it is into the snow that I noticed it. The color is reddish brown....but dark enough to scare the Bejesus out of me! Any thoughts?
Oh and to let you all know I got Kruz's sheath cleaned today. He did not drop but I got up there.....(really up there) surprisingly he was pretty clean....the most part of the smegma was in the lower part.
So yet another thing to worry myself to death about Belle urinating reddish brown????? [:O]
Atrayou
Oh TY so much for the link to the post Hook[:X]....phew I am on it.
Atrayou
By The Way, is your trainer still boarding two horses at your place? http://www.dailyequine.com/forums/topic....IC_ID=4040. Maybe the coloured urine is from one of those?
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
From a vet rounds discusion:
Answer: "Normal horse urine color ranges from straw color to lighter yellow. There is usually a large degree of cloudiness in the urine due to calcium carbonate and mucus. Once urine hits the ground, it will oxidize and appear orange or red-tinged if seen in snow. Feed supplements and vitamins should not affect urine color, but may cause your horse to urinate more as the kidney clears those products that were unnecessary in the first place."

My horses leave reddish brown urine spots in the snow. My vet also told me it was a reaction to tne snow. Sure scared me the first time I saw it. Adding salt to feed may encourage them to drink more and the urine will be more dilute, thus not as colored.
Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......