Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Quarter horse is sick
Glad to hear you're QH is feeling better, and I am sure he appreciates the extra attention. Non-horsey people do not understand the emotions we have for our animals. While I haven't lost a horse in death, I still am emotionally invested in the horse I sold and have days when I cry over him.

As in any grieving situation, time will heal your heart.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Hey everyone.....I am seriously worried about my QH. He is so mopey....he doesnt seem to want to come in at night. I am wondering if it is because my Mare is beside him instead of his life long buddy. When he finally does walk into the barn he always stops and looks over into the next stall and seems dissapointed that it is my mare in there. I am not imagining this either. How long is this going to take for him to mourn and go back to himself? I understand it has only been a few days but my heart is sick from watching him act this way. It hurts me so bad that I can't help him emotionally through this. It is making me sick to my stomach with worry on his emotional well being. Is there anything extra I can do to help him?
Atrayou
I think you need to give your horse a job. (BTW what IS his name. ) I think both you and him would benefit from a daily groundwork /lunging session of 15 minutes to an hour to get your minds off your loss. Nothing like a bit of exercise and some activity that forces your thoughts in a new direction to help cope.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Exercise should be good for both Kruz and you.

I was wondering how your other horses are making out.

Like the Tennessee Walker that you referred to when you signed up to the Forum, Quote from your profile "I just got my first horse! A 16 year old Tennesse Walker!"
How is he taking the tragedy?
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
The walker is a Mare and she is doing well.....She is the first horse I have owned on my own...I grew up on a farm and always had access to horses but never actually owned my very own....my dad was the one that did all the stuff I am learning to do now....basically I just rode and mucked stalls....I never had to deal with the Deaths, vets, farriers etc.....Belle my mare is my first horse in my name she is mine legally.....does that make sense? The other horses were always here but not mine in ownership....until recently. Thats what I meant by that statement....now I am learning to deal with lots of stuff and I do not have my Dad to ask this stuff to.
Atrayou