Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feeding
I recently acquired a 6 year old gelding that has been out in the pasture and not ridden in over a year. The owner had purchased him for his teenage daughter but she was afraid of him because, "he bucks a little." That was an understatement...he bucks A LOT. I am not a very experienced rider and will be hiring a trainer, but can not afford to do so until spring. I live in TN on several acres. He is free to roam, graze and has hay 24/7. He appears to be of good weight (possibly over weight) and obviously will not be getting any exercise. Does he need to be grained?
Not all horses need to be grained, i only give mine a small amount so i can add their vitamins. A good way to bond with your horse is to start some ground training before he goes off to training. There are a alot of prior posts on training and ground training. Did i tell you we love pics here?
In my opinion, grain would be the LAST thing he needs! A little overweight and getting no excercise...the money you save by NOT buying grain can go toward the cost of training in the spring.

EZ2SPOT
Welcome to the forum!
He shouldn't need grain if he has access to hay 24/7 and is in good weight.

[Image: 24.gif]

Hi Charlie, Welcome to the forum.

Grain should only be required if he needs more energy to maintain his weight but for optimum health all horses should have a supplement that balances their diet for the type of forage they eating plus have free choice access to Salt and Mineral.

He would also need to have his worming schedule maintained.

Check out this post for some suggestions on ration balancers by Mrs Hook. http://www.dailyequine.com/forums/topic....IC_ID=3890

By the way we would love a picture of your horse.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Thanks for all your responses! Jack does have free access to minerals and salt and I throw in a lot of apples. He is also being wormed.

I will post photos as soon as my daughter sends me her old digital camera...and I figure out how to use it!

I've been reading the posts on ground work, I'll work at it but I do better with hands on instruction so I'll still be hiring a trainer. Also, I don't think he's ever had much ground work because the farrier had to sedate him and put him on the ground to get his shoes on...it was quite an ordeal. I'm pretty disappointed as I thought I was getting a tame horse.

Thanks to all, you've made me feel welcome!
I'm not trying to be rude or anything but, why would an inexperienced rider aquire a horse "that bucks a little"? Also why the shoes, if he isn't going to a trainer till spring? Just curious.
My horses try to teach me something every day.
tazassage....
I don't take your questions as stupid or offensive. I was stupid. I have owned horses before but hind-site being 20/20 I realize that it was my husband that had all the confidence and control and not me. Also, when one did act up I was a lot younger and was able to brush it off and get back on....not so today. I got the shoes because his hoofs weren't in the best of shape and thought it might be the reason he was acting up.
It's an expensive lesson.

I spoke to a trainer last night and he wants $100 for the initial assessment. Even after training there's no guarantee, which I understand. What I'm struggling with now is if I should or can afford to invest more in to Jack, get a different horse or get out of the horse business altogether.
Welcome to the board!

IMO, if you are not an experienced rider, you do not need a horse that bucks and can't even be shod without sedation. He has some big holes in his "training". There are too many good horses for sale to take a chance on getting hurt by one that is nuts.

Where are you located? Maybe someone on the board knows of a decent horse you might like.

Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a lot of work ahead before safe to ride...was he bucking under saddle before? Was that the reason for sale? Good idea to get a trainer's assessment. Whether or not keeping the horse, if would be valuable info to have for yourself or pass on to next buyer.

If I had $$ and more wisdom, I would have chosen horses differently. It's been a journey; parts I don't wish to relive! If ever a "next" horse, it will be "perfect"..[Wink] It can be frustrating when your friends take off to ride and you are still solvig issues in a round pen.

An emotional issue to sell a horse...sometimes better sooner than later if the problems more than you bargained for. I wish you luck, been in that predicament and waited too long on one...[B)]