Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
have to run her in a round pen....
I have to agree that there is some things that just don't seem right.

I do not agree that the barn owner should be free to help you but most would. I have hand issues with boarders in the past that felt that I should help them and all of the time. It turned into a whole lot of free lessons and training for them and a lot less time for me to spent with my own horses. I am happy to help but I limited the amount I help and only if asked or if it has become a safety issue. Since this is the person you are leasing her from it is a little different then that. She should be wanting you to get along with the horse so that you do end up buying. Have you asked her? There are a whole lot of horse people that get upset if one tries to help them without them asking first. If the barn owner has been burned in that type of case in the past she may avoid it now.

Hobbling is when you...basicly you tie the horse's legs together in some manner so that it limits the horse's movement. This is normally used when you are out riding and have no place to tie the horse or when camping and do not want to tie the horse but allow it some movement to graze at night. Someone that does not know what they are doing should NOT try to teach a horse to hobble but hobble breaking a horse can be very useful even if one does not plan on using it a lot. I have found that horses that learn this and the steps that it takes to hobble break them are quieter and calmer. More willing to wait for the human. If they happen to get something like a rope or fence wire around their legs they understand not to fight it but give to the pressure. Hobble training has saved many horses and riders just because of that. My niece and I where out in the middle of no where looking for a loose bull when her gelding(her mom's really) hit any old fence line. My mare had stepped over it and he did with his front legs but not the hind. I heard it stretch and the gelding was freezing before I even told her to stop. I was able to get her off the horse well he stood there and waited for me to get him out of it. If he wouldn't have been hobble trained it could have been a big mess.

Tying horses for long periods of time is normally done when they are young and learning to tie but it can be just as useful with adults. By tying them up and making them wait they learn to wait for you. To stand calmly without fuss. In better training barns you tend to see a lot of horses just standing around either waiting to be ridden or cooling out after a ride or just learning to wait tied. Many people ask about tying issues. The horse won't stand still, he pulls back, he paws, etc...the horse has simply not learned to stand tied and the only way to learn that is to stand tied for a lenght of time. All of my young horses spend time tied up in different areas and around different things. They also eat at least one meal tied up to the hitching post everyday. They learn to like being tied up. I am not one to tie a horse for hours on end but many do that. I try to limit it to an hour tops and may do that more then once a day. Of course younger horses can't wait that long so you have to build up slowly to that. But I have been known to leave a horse if he refuses to allow me to untie him. Doc was back and ended up being tied for 3 hours. It was in the shade and I made sure he had water and some hay. Everytime I went to untie him he threw a fit and pawed and danced around. He figured it out and stood nicely and I put him back. The next day he only faught me about an hour and after that he never gave me problems. I'm not saying that every adult horse needs this but it can be good for them. And for horses that get worked up when another horse is around(like you are trying to lead it past the arena where horses are being worked) tying it up to the arena fence(if it is safe) and having other horses worked by it is a good thing. A few days of that normally gets them so bored of the idea they just stand there and go to sleep. One could over look that issue and not do anything like that but that horse would never be counted as 'dead broke' because it acts like way around others. Does that make sense? Dead broke horses are not born they are made by working them in all kinds of conditions and making them do things that will produce a horse that is dead broke in those conditions.

I think you need to make a list of the pros and cons of this horse. If you think that these problems are trainable in a manner that you can handle then it might work. If you don't want to deal with issues like this when you are learning yourself then it won't make you or her happy. Is there another trainer at the barn or one that you could have watch the two of you, or even just a friend. Sometimes another set of eyes can be helpful. They might see glaring things that say this isn't a good match or they may see things where her issues are totally fixable even by a green rider.
Lesasing is an excellent way to find out if a horse is right for you...and also a way to find out if it is NOT!

I'm wondering about this trainer...I would think that any good trainer would have been able to train this mare out of her bad habit, not just put a band-aid on it.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of "know-it-alls" out there who have hung out their shingle to train professionally, who are really not qualified.

EZ2SPOT
Green on green makes black and blue.

I think, given that you have limited time to ride and that you are just starting out you would be much better off with a horse that fits you right now.

One that you can get on and enjoy the time you have.

If you had time every day to work with her you might be able to train this stuff out of her but not once a week.

Riding should be fun-otherwise why do it.

We still hobble train and tie up as refreshers for our broke horses but most of our time is spent actually riding and enjoying the horse.

Be willing to pay for the work someone else has done to properly train your horse. But get something that's ready to go right now.
I have to agree, sounds like she's needs a much more experienced rider. I too am consider a beginner and it took a long time to find a nicely broke horse. Let me tell you how much more enjoyable riding is when you don't have to be afraid of riding your mount. It is also much easier to improve your riding skills.
Good horses are the best teachers.
I am curious? What is her diet like? Is she getting too much high energy grain? Do you feed her Alfalpha? What kind of hay is she getting? As diet plays a huge role in the so called "Hot Horse". At 14 she should not have to be ran in the round pen like that before you do things with her. I would enforce more ground work. Do things that you are comfortable doing with her alone....grooming is always a good place to start. Also your trainer sounds iffy to me.....just my opinion but if you really love her and are comfortable being around her then that is just where you need to be at this point. ( maybe not on her just yet? )
Atrayou
Diana,
How is going with Gretchen?
Any updates or news for us?

There may be some early training issues here plus when mounting do's the toe of your boot dig into her ribs? This could have happened with other riders. She may need to go back and do a little ground training. I've had horses that start to back up when I wanted to mount them. I'd put them in a small shoot or square formed with porta corrals I'd put them in and start mounting from the rail. After a bit I'd start putting my foot into the Stirrup until she was comfortable. When you cinch her up is the cinch ti tight? Just a couple of things to think about.

Doug
One can get in a car and see what MAN has made, one must get on a horse to see what GOD has made.
--unknown
Diana, I have done some home work on reasons to lounge and it proper usage. For a trained horse lounging is a reminder of what is required of them, like patience ( you do not trot canter or turn with out my saying so even if they fill like there 3yrs old, when there are really 15. )and respect ( this is work time you do not try to graze on grass under the post, put your head over the post to talk to your friend in the field or stop unless I ask, because I want your attention on me and my ques). loungeing a trained horse is also a good time to work on excersizes like bending, and cavolettes, useage of cones and jumps.

I came across this information while I was triing to figure out what to do with my daughters 4 yr old mare who has always been real easy going, this year in two weeks she has bucked across 10 acres ending with bucking my daughter off, the second time running away when she was on a lead line and my daughter was taking her for a walk.

I went back to the traiing of this young mare triing to see what was missed. After much searching I found it was teaching this young horse to wait, she just can't go and run cause she feels like it. And it started with the lounge line. In training we used the lounge line to calm her down so she would be more apt to listen, but we did not go further we did not teach her on the ground with a lounge line that she could not judge her own speeds, she has to wait for her owners directions. So there this spring, when my daughter wanted to ride down our private drive with her friend with out lounging first. When my daughters horse wanted to stretch her legs and my daughter didn't agree she just bucked her off and then stretched her legs as she ran back and forth up and down our street as fast as she could go until she was done. the second time on lead line same thing she wanted to go play when my daughter was triing to walk her to the arena. Once again when my daughter wouldn't comply she reared to her full hight scarring my 13yr old to death. she took off down the street running at full speed till she was done and came back.
Turns out this one little bit of training that was left out turned out to be very important, so now we get to go back and try to undo the damage that it has caused for both the young horse and my daughter. (Side note my daughter has rode this horse now for 1.5yrs with out this much fuss)
I don't know if any of this helps but I would go and get a respected tape of the art of lounging and watch it. It helped me alot.
LCT