Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Horse Owner
That's good news, about the having fun. No so good about the fungus. Hope it's nothing serious.

Looking forward to the smiley picture[Big Grin]
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
If it is a fungus the peroxide isn't going to do anything for it and may help it since peroxide kills off the good tissue. This si why they no longer use it on wounds. If you are using it to clean the area try iodine instead. not only is it good for cleaning it has a very good record of helping with the funguses that are normally found in the hooves. They have proven that when used at least twice weekly on the hooves it stops the fungus from even starting. So it's a good thing to spray on the hooves anyway. Also if this is fungus and not thrush it's more then likely in the white line and dropping a line of stuff like Kopertex about half way up the hoof wall as well as where the white line is infected can really help get rid of it. You have to keep up with that until the hoof is grown out. One reason most people can't get rid of this type of problem is because they stop putting stuff on it before the hoof is grown out enough to be healthy at the ground level.
Hi Diana:

Welcome to one of the nicest forums on the net.

What a grand birthday present. And I am so happy that hubby bought you a horse that you already had loads of love for, and were even taking lessons on. She looks like a lovely TWH, and as you will find out , I am VERY partial to TWH's. [Big Grin] I have three lovely TWH mares and one sweet Paso. Also a mini donkey who runs the farm. [Smile] Or thinks he does. Lots of dogs , cats and birds. A typical animal nut, like most of us in here.[Big Grin]

Have fun with your mare, follow all the HOOKs great advice and the other knowedgable members too.
I agree with Stormie about the Peroxide....it does destroy the surrounding tissue. Tamed Iodine, or any of the good anti-fungus products will work, if you persisit and keep the feet as clean and dry as possible. Also.....treat the stall with an anti fungal and make sure the floor and bedding stay clean and dry.
I hope they are checking all the horses's feet....she may have picked it up from one of the others. [^]
Again, welcome and good luck with sweet Gretchen!

Mrs. Hook:
Sure hope those pages of steps to take with a new horse are gonna be in your book....your way of detailed presentation of ALL that needs to be done is just super. Thank you!

Regret
To love a horse should fill us with awe, because we do not deserve it.
Thanks Stormie for your advice on gretchen's foot. It is thrush and we are treating it with Kopertox. She is doing better. I appreciate evryone's help.I don't know what I would do if all of you didn't help me. I am a new owner and I am constantly reading books. Does anyone have any sugestions on books for me.
Gretchen does have one problem, when you start to get on her she lifts her head and backs up She doesn't wanted you to get on, so I have to take her to the round pen and get all that silly stuff out of her system then she calms right down. She listens very well. Do you think she will ever stop doing this or will I always have to take her to the round pen first? Right now I only ride her when the trainers are there. I would like to be able to go on the weekends and ride her by myself, but with this problem I am a little intimidated.
Hey everyone here are some new pictures of Gretchen
[img][/img][Image: IMG_0003.jpg]

[img][/img][Image: IMG_0004.jpg]

Gretchen after her bath, she just had to roll

[img][/img][Image: IMG_0005.jpg]

Gretchen and her pasture buddy Astron
Gretchen is sure a sweetie. I like the expression of communication between her and you in the first photo. You can tell you are joined in friendship and in spirit.

The new blue halter and lead show her off well.[^]
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Great pictures. It looks like you two are getting along very well.

At least she was clean for a little while [Big Grin] I am afraid my horses will be filthy til spring.

As for Gretchen not wanting you to mount her. Possibly her tack does not fit correctly? Her saddle could be rubbing? When you mount do you grab her mane and the back of the saddle? Never grab onto just the the horn.[V] Resolve all tack issues first and then if her tack all fits correctly and is not hurting or rubbing her then I would say that this issue can be fixed by ground work. Keep repeating the lesson on mounting her correctly. Make sure you have one rein gripeed so when she moves you have control of her this way you do not get hurt. Also work on mounting her with a mounting block or steps. I have seen so many people grab onto the horse saddle and pull all of their weight up and it hurts the horse's back!
If you get the TV station RFDTV look for all the horse instrustion shows. I LOVE DownUnder Horsemanship....and John Lyons DVD's.
Good luck with this issue once it is corrected it will make you more confident and you will want to do more and more with your mare. Teaching them is so much fun and so rewarding when they get the lesson![Smile]
Atrayou
Diana, I just noticed, in the picture where Gretchen is rolling after her bath... the horses have their own mailbox??? Do they get their own mail?
She is a nice looking horse.
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

I never noticed the mailbox. Diana, how are things going with your horse gretchen?