Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Club FIGMOH
she really really looks a lot better - your doing a great job - her coat in shiney and there is a lot more life in her eyes - good luck and keep us updated!!
I know she looked rough but I have to say she was not neglected or abused. She had simply been a broodmare for the last few years. Not being a dominant or pushy horse, she was at the bottom of the pecking order and was essentially beaten to the feeder and picked on alot by the other mares. Someone at one point spent considerable time and effort with her, the horse has a great pedigree, is broke-broke-broke, and actually has her ROM in WP. She just didn't adapt so well to her job as a broodmare.
Congrats on your new horse! Sounds like she is working out just great for you, too. A horse that can teach you all you need to know is just about priceless. How old is she?

EZ2SPOT
quote:
Originally posted by elizNY

I know she looked rough but I have to say she was not neglected or abused. She had simply been a broodmare for the last few years. Not being a dominant or pushy horse, she was at the bottom of the pecking order and was essentially beaten to the feeder and picked on alot by the other mares. Someone at one point spent considerable time and effort with her, the horse has a great pedigree, is broke-broke-broke, and actually has her ROM in WP. She just didn't adapt so well to her job as a broodmare.

Thanks for the pictures. She is a very lucky horse to have you as her new owner. Bonus that she has been shown and has good breeding as well.

One has to wonder about the logic of some broodmare owners to allow any horse to be in that condition. A brood mare has some very high nutitional demands that need to be met in order to have a healthy properly developed foal. I would certainly think twice about buying one of their foals.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Hook, I wonder why she was turned into a broodmare so quickly considering how nice she rides. But I suspect its because she doesn't have "the look" to really excel at the higher levels, so they didn't continue showing her.
EZ, she is nine. She has had three foals that I know of. One is registered, the other two I have pictures of and some notes about who she was bred to etc. I also have a picture of her with her 2002 foal, and she looked fantastic. I actually saw her 2005 foal, though that was before I ever saw her, knew her etc.
quote:
Originally posted by elizNY

Hook, I wonder why she was turned into a broodmare so quickly considering how nice she rides. But I suspect its because she doesn't have "the look" to really excel at the higher levels, so they didn't continue showing her.
EZ, she is nine. She has had three foals that I know of. One is registered, the other two I have pictures of and some notes about who she was bred to etc. I also have a picture of her with her 2002 foal, and she looked fantastic. I actually saw her 2005 foal, though that was before I ever saw her, knew her etc.

Good question. If she is nine and had a 2002 foal that would make her about four years old when she was bred. That is about the show life of some horses but it may be that she was just shown enough to get a show record to improve the value of her foals. I suppose she could have also been retired from showing due to soundness issues that, hopefully, have been corrected during her time off showing.

From the pictures I would guess that she is registered as a Paint?
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
She earned her ROM when she was two and a half, and there are no more show records after that, so you are probably right Hook. Either that, or she stopped winning so they stopped showing and turned her out to raise foals.
Yes, she is a Paint, and I spend alot of time explaining to people that not only is she really a Paint, but that she is also on the regular registry. Lots of people have their own interpretations of the APHA's rule book!