Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you tell me the difference?
First let me say the information on the wind and horses behavior has been very helpful. I also think that when that particular storm hit it was her 2nd night out with the others inside. She is getter better[Big Grin]
Okay so last night or should I say at 2AM this morning I got home from work to hear my horse call out to me!!![Smile][:O][Big Grin]....what I want to know is because this is really the first time I actually think the call was for me IS...What is the difference between a Call and a Nicker? I wish they had horse sounds on here so I could let you hear what I heard but in this instance I think she was saying "Hey mom your home! And I my hay rack is empty?
I went out to greet her as she was waiting for me at the gate. ( Not by the barn ) I went and gave her a pet and said "okay I am coming" I went out and gave her another flake of hay and she stood at the barn door and let me scratch on her for about 10 minutes. Then she went into her lean-to and we said goodnight.
Now I need to ditinguish the difference between horse calls...when she is calling for me? I know when she is calling the others...but the difference betwen a Nicker to me and a call to me? Make sense?
I had to smile at your comments, Atrayou[Smile]. Actually, I don't think it's the sound that's produced as much as it's who the call is aimed at. I've had Dove wicker at me so soft & low that I can barely hear him, and Terra has hollered with a full whinny at me from across the pasture (our pasture is very small... maybe an acre or less). Now, how do I know they mean to get my attention when they do it? When I turn around and look to see what all the raucus is about, and they are looking right at me with their ears all perked up and their head held high[Big Grin]. It's kinda like when a person says, "Well, hi. How ya been?" And you turn around to see someone you haven't seen in awhile... or they are talking to someone else, and you go your own way[Wink].
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
There was an article in a magazine a couple of months ago about horse sounds and communication. I think it was horse and rider but not sure. I notice my horses calls are different when i had to work late, the shrill whinny Saying "where the heck have you been, do you know what time it is" especially when i've been gone all day to the normal nicker when i come to say goodnight when i am home. Chloe is a very loud communicator wher sweetie just give the nicker or snort to say hello. When i hear sweetie whinny it is few and far between, it is usually when she is really scared or something is wrong, such as the time when chloe was down with her abcess.
from the conversation of my horses, a hay what you doing,or im hungry its cold come and feed me. is a few noises, they can be light or strong in volumn depending on each personal horse.
However my old mares, that brat is out again and you need to come and get her is a lot of noise and repeated, usually louder, and highter in tone. This emergency call doesn't have to be when she sees me comming in or going out. She can call me out of my house and on occation when Im sleeping like when the baby got out of the fence and could not get back in. It has only been the older mare the alpha who has called because of danger or something wrong.
I have to admit I don't always pay attention to all of my horses daily calls, only the older mare. She is not a usual one to chatter with me so when she startes calling I usually pay attention.
However the baby is always chatty, she chats to any and everyone, about any and every thing. Reba has chose to talk only about food with me at this point. However she greets her rider Amber when she comes home, or is out doors and not by Rebas side.

Hope this helps.