Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok, are we ready to try a ride? here we go!
Hi there! I'M baaaaaack in the saddle again!!!! (almost)[^]

Ok, here is my question: I recently got Buddy (remember the pics?) See post Im back again with a different horse...

anyways, I have had Buddy now for almost 2 weeks--and I have been working with him on the ground now for almost that long--today I put the saddle on him and worked with him in the round pen, and even put my foot in the stirrup and leaned up on the saddle and he did great.

Let me back up here: This 12 year old QH gelding horse has not been consistently if at all ridden in the past two years. AND, he has been stalled that whole time and given hot feed--so when I went to get him he was VERY hot, and now for the past two weeks he has been in my pasture being a horse, and I've spend a good few hours daily messing with him from the ground. (round pen, picking feet, grooming, lunging, etc.) The day (2 weeks ago) that I went to look at him with a friend, my friend saddled and rode him and after about 30 minutes Buddy was listening. Stopping, trotting, turning ect. For the first 30 minutes he just backed up alot and kind of pranced around, but He never reared or bucked. He is very kind hearted and does not have a mean bone in his body. this horse seems to have great mind and he listens and pays attention so well to me. When I round pen work him, though, if I ask him to change directions, he turns AWAY from me and changes directions. If a horse truly respects you, shouldnt he turn towards you when changing directions?
So, I am wondering what else I can do to help him learn I am the #1 herd leader and to respect me. When I walk him with a lead and halter he stops behind my shoulder when I stop. He backs when asked. He is so far very respectful.
Do you all think I should saddle him up and try riding him this weekend?[Big Grin][Big Grin] Or, is it still pushing it since he turns towards the outside in the round pen and therefore may not completely respect me yet? What would ya'll do??[?]
Thanks a bunch for any input! You guys are truly such a wealth of info and help and support!!
I may be wrong in what I do, but I always ask my horse to turn into the rail. This doesn't sound like a problem to me. ??? Of course, I've never had a formal lesson but my teachers are hearsey and experience. Maybe Buddy had a trainer like me and he's doing what he thinks is right.[confused2[Smile]
"You never know til you know for sure and even then its hard to tell."
Lets look at this from a safety point of view. When you are in the middle of a round pen, with a horse running around loose, which way makes the most sense for them to reverse - in where you are or to the outside away from you?

My horses are taught to always move away from me, if I step into their space then they are to move away, to never come toward me, so I want them to reverse into the rail. Horses can move awfully fast when spooked, or frisky and I don't want to get run over. My horses are taught to stop and stand at the "Whoa" command, and I then walk to them. They never walk over to me.

Now think from a training point of view. What are you trying to teach the horse during round pen work and for what purpose?

When a horse is working on the rail and you ask them to reverse to the outside, they have to gather their body, round their backs and bring their back ends under them. In riding terms this is a roll-back, or the beginnings of collection to get into a gait in the proper frame in order to carry themselves properly. So basically, when you are asking a horse to reverse, you are strengthening their body and are working on teaching self collection.

If a horse is working to the left, you quit pushing, step forward ahead of his motion, and ask him to reverse, you are on his left side and he reverses away from you. In order to ask for a reverse to the inside you would need to be almost in front of him, which puts you in an extremely dangerous situation.

If the horse is on a longe line, then you step ahead of his motion and at the same time giving a tug on the line. He knows that he is to follow the tug, and you are in his forward space so he reverses to the inside. If he reversed to the outside, he would get tangled in the longe line.

So the answer to your question, your horse is doing exactly what he should be doing. He is moving out of your space, and giving you the respect you deserve. If he was turning in and running over you, then that is a loss of respect.

It sounds like you have a really nice horse, that has had some good training and good manners on him.
Impeccable wording. Thank you.[thumbsup] This redneck girl just knew it seemed like the right thing to do.[^]
"You never know til you know for sure and even then its hard to tell."
Thank you so much Mrs. Hook!! WOW! Well said! AND, I just wasnt sure on the whole deal--so it sounds like I do really have a nice boy on my hands!! YEAH!!
Thanks again!
"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man."

Horses are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

I teach them to turn both ways but it is easier(and safer) to teach them to turn away from you first. The turning towards you will come with the turning to look at you. This type of turn will have to be asked for differently then the turn away from you.
Good descriptions above everyone.

Just a thought,,,,,
You can pay an educated/experianced person to ride your horse once, or a few times, and see what he remembers/knows. Basically an evaluation. If he is really rusty, may take a few rides.

Can you find out any more background on this horse?
If its registered, sometimes there are show records.
Taking a few lessons may also be a good idea, it can help both of you at the same time.

If you are nervous about getting on, I would do the evaluation, as well as more ground work. If he turns out to be fairly well trained, your job will be easier, and he may well end up teaching you.
Ride safe, return safe.

Ok, went and looked at the other post, and saw he is registered.

If you like, maybe post his full reg name, and someone here may be able to research it for you. ( I have seen it done, but its beyond me!)
Ride safe, return safe.

When I am working in the round pen, I practice turning both ways and the message is given and received via body language. If I step forward toward my horse, he will turn into the rail. If I take a step back, he will turn towards me on the reverse. I have also incorporated voice commands in conjunction with body language, so he knows "left" and "right" in addition to the various gait commands. This has been a grand way to bring us together and work as a team. Most importantly, he has learned to listen to me, and respects me more than ever. Before I started this teaching, I was just another someone on his back. After these training sessions however, he is more interested in working with me now that he knows it's me, and not just someone, on his back.
Hi everyone! Thanks for all the insights! Well, I rode him yesterday and so did my hubby and Buddy did SO well!! He is rusty and doesnt tends to trot before I ask and has some issues turning left--but other than that he listened very well--I had him doing figure eights and stopping starting, trotting etc. Hid did very well for not being ridden in two years!! Alas, today he is lame--see post Oh no! Buddy lame in the grooming and health section...I am having the vet come out on Friday for lameness work up--he has heat in the tendons under his knee, about halfway down and I think he either overextended himself, and hurt a ligament [Sad]
In which case, I cant buy a lame horse!! I am so sad right now as I am wanting to buy him so badly, but if he turns out to be prone to lameness then I cant buy him![Sad][Sad]
I guess we will see more on Friday!
Thanks again.
"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man."

Horses are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.