Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boy am I learning the Hard way!
Last night I went out to the barn to love up on all the horses, give them all a groom and some extra attention to the old Standardbred. Well stupid me I did not close the barn door and........The horses got a hold of the big box of apples ( yup all of them gone! ) PLUS....they got into the hoof suppliment bucket! ( It was full and the cover was not on well ) Yup they ate all of that too! OMG they are like little Houdini's! They managed to grab those things and ate them all up! My god my heart sunk when I got out there this morning. I am thinking they all got the hoof suppliment feed. it is a pellet suppliment.....( I am waiting now to go out there one day and all of their hooves be all grown out and curled up! On a serious note though I am learning that I can not forget things like closing the barn door. They all seem to be okay I am keeping a close eye out on them. I am wondering can they founder from this? I am going out to saddle up my mare right now and take her for a short ride just up and down the dirt road. The past few days have been quite hectic for me. Very lucky that my trainers Quarter Horse did not get seriously hurt falling through the bridge! He managed to pull himself out before his feet went completely through it.....Thank God. But a real confidence shaker for sure.
Also wanted to mention that I have been noticeing that my mare is getting beat up. Not sure if she is doing this to herself or if the others are doing it to her. She has patches of hair gone and blood spots on her hind quarter the side of rump, the front leg and under her chin! It seems that she is getting pretty scarred up in the last week....and it isnt pretty. What I am wondering is will these patches grow back in? Also what should I be watching for after they all devouered the huge box of apples and the whole bucket of hoof suppliment? Gosh I feel like such a bad Mommy.
Check the digital pulse in the pastern.

Stand on the left side, take your left hand and curl your fingers around the inside of the pastern gently. Just keep holding and feeling for a pulse. If you find a pulse that feels like our pulse, call the vet immediately, and get their feet soaking in cold water. That means they are beginning to founder.

If you find a pulse and it is weak and thready feeling, then you are ok at the present time. Just keep checking that pulse regularly. If they start to founder you need to take strong immediate action. You never wait and see. Founder is one of the things that is a true emergency for horses!

Good luck, hopefully all is well.

With regards to the bites and missing hair, don't worry about it, it will resolve itself when they finally establish the pecking order.
hmmm Maybe they thought if they eat the hoof supplements they wouldn't founder from the apples!

Colic and Founder would be the two things you would need to worry about if it was a large amount of stuff.
As far as the missing chunks go,,,, my filly has a new one every 3 days or so, from my gelding.
So now they are separated.
3 horses. gelding, 3 yr old filly, 8 yr old mare.
They are listed in order of whos boss first.
I keep 2 together. If it is the gelding and the filly, she gets beat up. If its the gelding and the mare, things are pretty good.
It its the 2 girls, 3 yr old puts the run on the mare a bit, but no chunks missing.

The reason the gelding gives the filly a harder time comes from thier pecking order. He is above her, but she is not so far behind him. If there were 10 horses, she would be very close to him, in the order, of the list.
This means he is boss, but she challenges him, and will only take so much guff from him.
He says move, she says maybe, instead of just moving, and the scuffle is on.
With the 8yr old mare, He says move, she says sure, you're the boss, which way? How far? Is this good????

Scuffles happen alot more over food.
If you are feeding hay, make 1 more pile, than the number of horses, and far enough apart, that no horse can claim more than one pile at a time.

Watch your herd at liberty. learn who is the boss, and try to figure out how the order goes.
You may need to separate a couple, to keep the hair on.
And yes, it will grow back.
Keep an eye on the legs, looking for swellings etc, from kicking injuries.

I separate mine when feeding grain (in stalls) as I want them to get the diet each needs, with no fights, then I kick them back out.

Hope this helps, and your horses have no Ill effects from thier midnight stroll.
Ride safe, return safe.

Sounds like we're on the same page, mtn rider. I may have only 2 horses, but what you just described about the relationship between your gelding and the filly is exactly the kind of relationship between Dove & Terra. Dove has been alpha his whole life and doesn't take any guff off of any horse. Terra doesn't fear him, but she respects him. She also hates it and will do anything she can to let Dove know it. As a consequence, Terra has little nicks and cuts on her body most of the time. But as long as they are just surface injuries, I don't worry too much about them, and they heal.

I really get tickled when Terra tries to get the better of Dove and fails. It really makes her upset and angry. I've seen her shake her head at him and stamp a front foot she gets so upset, and she sometimes prances off in a huff. I just know she'd give anything to be boss, but she just can't figure out how to do it with Dove.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Watched my gelding have a total hissy fit one day here a couple of weeks ago.

Chase (gelding) told Phoenix (filly) something, and she refused.
WELL!
I was picking with the fork, and heard noises, so I turn around, and here is Chase, kicking with both hinds, as hard and fast as he can, towards Phoenix.
Phoenix was already gone, but Chase stood there, bucking and squealing till she was 150 ft away. (I know the measurments of my fences, no exaggeration) I didnt count how many times he bucked, but he sure went on and on!

Man, was he ever PO'D
Since there were no injuries, it was hilarious to watch!
Ride safe, return safe.

I really hope that you did learn your lesson here because this could have been a fatal mistake. Supplements should NEVER be kept anywhere where a horse could get at them, You are extremely fortunate that Biotin is essentially a B vitamin and is water soluable. What the horse doesn't need is excreted in the urine. That is NOT true of many other supplements. Please everyone, get those supplements in a latched cabinet or on high shelves...this could have been very serious.

And because it's that time of the year...keep the halloween candy out of reach of your dogs too! Please!
<'\__~
_(( // ====

quote:
Originally posted by mtn rider

Watched my gelding have a total hissy fit one day here a couple of weeks ago.

Chase (gelding) told Phoenix (filly) something, and she refused.
WELL!
I was picking with the fork, and heard noises, so I turn around, and here is Chase, kicking with both hinds, as hard and fast as he can, towards Phoenix.
Phoenix was already gone, but Chase stood there, bucking and squealing till she was 150 ft away. (I know the measurments of my fences, no exaggeration) I didnt count how many times he bucked, but he sure went on and on!

Man, was he ever PO'D
Since there were no injuries, it was hilarious to watch!

ROFLOL[Big Grin][Big Grin][Big Grin]!!!

I haven't seen her do it in some time, but when Terra was 10 months old, she used to stand with her head by Dove's left flank. They would be standing there half dozing up by the barn, and then Terra would reach over and bump Dove right where a mare's teets would be (I know what it's called, but trying to keep this "G" rated[Wink]). You want to talk about a gelding coming unglued! But Terra loved the game until Dove landed some kicks and bites, and then she left him alone.

Then she found a new way to do it. She'd wait until I came to take Dove out of the arena and up to the barn. I'd put Dove's halter and lead on and walk him up to the gate. Most of the time, I never thought anything about Terra following along with us. I'd be turned to open the gate, and the next thing I know Terra is up to her old tricks with the bumping of the you-know-what. She had figured out that Dove couldn't defend himself while I had hold of the lead on his halter[:O]! So, I began watching her a little more closely, under these conditions, and would drop the lead and yell at Dove to get her! The whole thing was absolutely hilarious[Big Grin]!
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Shes a little[}Smile]

[Big Grin][Big Grin]
Ride safe, return safe.