Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White spots?
One of our mares has what appear to be white spots on her coat. They're not on any specific part of her body - they're all over. It appears that the hair has turned white on these spots. They're no larger than a dime.... At first glance, we thought they were splashes of mud. But they don't rub off! Does anyone have any idea what this might be?
Well, what breed of horse is she? If she is not an Appaloosa, then she probably has "Birdcatcher spots". These also have another name, but I can't remember what...Stormie??? I remember you posting something about this before.

If she IS an Appaloosa or a grade mare that could have had some Appaloosa ancestors, be aware that they often get more spots as they get older.

EZ2SPOT
She is a sorrel/paint. What are "birdcatcher spots"? Is it a disease or just a condition of the coat? I must say, when I first noticed them I thought it was bird "poop". LOL
3B Lady

Always speak to your horse as you would a gentleman.
Be kind, be gentle, be patient.
Bird Catcher Spots(also called Acquired Spots) are just small white spots. They don't know a lot about them yet. They normally develop when the horse is a few years old. Sometimes they change over the years. And they seem to be inherited because you can follow them through a pedigree in many cases.
But not all are a genetic cause. Sometimes it can be a reaction to things like shots, bugs, even fly sprays. There was a case a few years back that was written about in one of the horse magazine where the cause ended up being jet fuel that the planes where dumping before landing.
If you haven't seen anything like hives and no other horses are getting them then it's probably just a gene thing.

What pattern of paint is she? Some patterns will give you some spots also.
My 19 year old games mare, Sugar, who is a well bred AQHA running horse, dark liver chestnut, developed the spots about 6 or 7 years ago. Has about a dozen, sizes ranging from a dime to a quarter. Shows up quite well on the dark chestnut. Developed over one winter when the new hair came in. I concluded that she was probably bitten by a swarm of bees but no more ever developed.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
I finally got a chance to look it up on the internet and read about it. Very strange for sure. Hook, my husband thought about the bee theory right off because we have had a couple of swarms attack them in the last month or so. We've looked all over the property and can't find a hive or anything. We don't use any fly spray or anything like that..I started up using fly predators and that has pretty much eradicated the fly problem. From what I read, it's just one of those mysterious things that happen with certain families of horses. We just happen to have one of them. I'm just glad it wasn't anything serious. Thanks for your input y'all. Really appreciate it!!
3B Lady

Always speak to your horse as you would a gentleman.
Be kind, be gentle, be patient.