Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I THINK THIS IS THE RIGHT DECISION IS IT
Thank you so much everyone for the advice i am trying not to feel like a failure or that im letting Donald down but it is hard but i do realise he will make a fantastic horse with someone that knows what to do with him and can guide him the right way.
I will be looking around for the right horse but its hard as there are quite a few shonky people around and im gullible so i am going to have to be on my toes. If i do get an Appy the good thing is my previous trainer knows what im like in the saddle etc and she knows most of the appys around and she will tell me if they would be suitable etc. i will keep you updated and again thanks
I"m sorry I didn't mean that I was upset with you but that I'm upset that people make it seem that it does work out most of the time and that that makes people question themselves when it comes to cases like yours. The fact that it isn't true that most of the cases work out for the best makes comments like that even worst. Yes it works out sometimes but it's not the norm and people that try to tell you it is just make it harder on you. There is nothing wrong with you or Donald. You are not failing in something that 'normally works out'. You aren't failing at all. But the idea that this should work out makes it harder for you to decide what to do.
Yes thanks Stormie i understand what you meant now . i guess you do think well i they can do it why cant i,I will go and see lots of horses and get something that really makes me feel comfortable. I am excited at the thought of oneday soon actually going for a ride.
I value everyones opinions very much on here
I know Australia is a big place, but do you, by chance, know Ev Lagoon? She raises Foundation Appaloosas and is an Aussie. If you are interested, I'll email you privately with more information. She may be able to set you up with a nice horse. I always get tickled at her signatures on the FAHR message board. She signs her posts:

Cheers,
Ev from OZ

She's a very nice lady and knows her Appaloosas[Wink].

If you're interested in Foundation Appaloosas, check out the FAHR website at www.foundationapp.org [Smile].
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Hi spots, I just want to offer my encouragement for your decision. You are doing the SAFE thing. Have you heard the saying "Green + green = black & blue"?
Just a word of caution. Appygirl mentioned not getting a horse under age eight and I agree. However make sure the horse has been ridden a lot. Consider the miles on the horse as well as the age. An eight year old that has been ridden 3 times a week for the last 3 years may be more mature and quiet than a 15 year old thats only ridden occasionally. Wet saddle blankets make good horses!
Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
Redhawk i am sure i have heard that ladies name i recall she lives somewher around sunbury melbourne way?? if im correct then she lives within an hour or so from me so if you could email me i would appreciate it very much.
Tagnrocky you are right i do have to be watchfull on the age issue as lots of older horses have been just sitting around in paddocks etc and havent been ridden much only every now and then thats why i was considering the 4 yo as he has done lots of show (so hes used of that scene) and is now used for trail riding. I havent personally seen this horse as its a long way away but have been speaking to the owner who seemed very nice she was more concerned about asking about me than trying to sell her horsemaking sure if i suited him. She has owned him since 6months old and is only selling as she has a good show horse amare that can be ridden and breed from and a youngster that she is bringing on so he doesnt fit into the equation anymore.
I was speaking to my trainer man that helped with Donald and he is selling his QH gelding he is 17 years old and used in his clinics.(John Lyons Trainer) i havent ridden him and will organise it but the only thing i think of is that this horse is so in tune with his owner and training method will i just stuff it up or will i learn and keep going with it. This man makes any horse look like its an angel aghhhhhhhh
The main thing is to take your time & don't rush into anything! What Tagnrocky said about an older horse not necessarily being well-broke, is all too true. I have a 16-year old mare that is still green because she was never ridden much!

But a 4-year old...even if he has been around, you would still need to spend a lot of time with him to keep him settled down. Go for too long without riding him, and you would most likely have some problems. I'm not saying you should totally rule him out, but just giving you some things to think about.

EZ2SPOT
sorry to keep nagging about stuff but my favorite horse is the appy then paints and QH so i am really only looking along these breeds But there seems lots of TB for sale that are meant to be very quiet i have just dismissed them my whole life as i think Racehorse But should i be looat them as well.
quote:
Originally posted by spots

sorry to keep nagging about stuff but my favorite horse is the appy then paints and QH so i am really only looking along these breeds But there seems lots of TB for sale that are meant to be very quiet i have just dismissed them my whole life as i think Racehorse But should i be look them as well.

Thoroughbreds are normally a bit more high strung than the others. Definitely stay away from any horse that has been raced at a track. Some will turn out to be great horses but not for you at this stage.

Most appaloosas and paints have substantial amounts of quarter horse breeding so are mostly ( tongue in cheek) just coloured quarter horses. Most quarter horses have substantial thoroughbred as well but have been bred for versatility and disposition for work.

I would not worry too much about the breed but it's level of experience and it's disposition.

When I have sold horses in the past the very best match of horse and rider was achieved when the potential new owner spent some time with the new horse at the our place learning to ride it and learning it's disposition.

Perhaps you should think of a short lease type option for the horses you are interested in so you can get the correct match. You will know which one feels right. NO QUICK DECISIONS BASED ON COLOUR.

My recommendation. Find a trainer / seller that has what you think you like. Lease the horse for a month. Leave it at the sellers place and go ride it with help from the owner. If a bond develops, you will know if the horse is right for you.

Be tough. Make sure, don't hesitate to try several horses for comparison. within reason, cost should not be a factor. The price you initially pay for a horse is far out shadowed by the costs of keeping and maintaining it over the years.

And oh yeah. Don't forget to get a vet check. You need a sound healthy horse, not some one elses problem. Be particularly sensitive to the health of older horses for age related problems.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
thanks Hooh i will make sure of a vet check with the older ones. its not color that i like its just i quess that the "western breeds" are what ive been used to here is a pic of the 17 yr old QH [Image: b0f2df1e.jpg]the man on him is a fairly big guy as you can see i am going to go ride him on the weekend hes life has mainly consisted of trail riding and being used for demos in his clinic