Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Leading Question
My horse likes to stop and plant his feet in when I'm leading him across the property to saddle up. It's about a 75 yard walk and a very calm setting. I've only had him 2 months and we're still getting acquainted, so I can understand a new place might still be a little spooky. I walk on his left side, close to his head and hold the lead rope kind of loosely. To work around this I have to turn slightly and pull him in a different direction to move and then about 20 feet later it's another stop until we zig zag over to the tack room. I was hoping a couple treats at the end of the stroll would be some inspiration, but we're still kind of balky about it. Perhaps I'm doing this all wrong, or am I just being tested? Any words of wisdom appreciated.

P.S. Going back to the stall is no problem.
Your horse knows the routine and what awaits him at the end of that walk across the property. There are a couple of ways I'd handle this.

1. Each time he stops turn him in a circle and continue forward, or

2. Place a chain over his nose and every time he stops, yank the chain (not hard, mind you) and make him back up and then continue the forward motion.

Either way, he'll get the message that walking forward will mean less work.

If you give him treats at destination's end, after he has done his plant/stop routines, you are basically rewarding him for that behavior.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Also a whip, hold it so that you tap him on the hindquarters to ask him to go forward. You may need to teach him this first.

Do you feed him grain? Every time you feed him grain, don't do it in the pasture or stall. Take him out and tie him up and feed him there. Do it at the normal feeding time.

The above also works and would probably be the first thing I would try. Make him work harder when he does something wrong and reward him for doing it right. Once he is going there then feed him there at feeding time for a couple weeks.
On balky leading, I've had good luck with the rope halter, when they plant their feet, try a "bump bump bump" on the lead line instead of the steady pressure. Always try to face the direction you want to go and try to at least make an appearance of continued forward motion, as soon as you turn and face them, they will really plant their feet. Seems like if you stop, turn and look at them, they then get the idea that they are the leader and you are looking to them for direction.
Cody: 18 year old bay QH
Badger: 20 year old sorrel QH
quote:
Originally posted by ree

On balky leading, I've had good luck with the rope halter, when they plant their feet, try a "bump bump bump" on the lead line instead of the steady pressure. Always try to face the direction you want to go and try to at least make an appearance of continued forward motion, as soon as you turn and face them, they will really plant their feet. Seems like if you stop, turn and look at them, they then get the idea that they are the leader and you are looking to them for direction.

Not exactly, Ree, but you're close. The reason they stop if you face them is because you are acting like a predator in their eyes. Predators will look directly at it's prey when stalking or right before striking. When you turn and look at your horse, you are intimidating him. So, he stops for fear of going any further. The rest of your post is very good advice, though[^][Smile].
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
well heck, i'm wrong again.
Cody: 18 year old bay QH
Badger: 20 year old sorrel QH
red hawk and ree one of the things ive done is when he stops i turn and face him and have kept the steady pressure on (we look very silly cos he has his feet planted firmly on the ground) thenhe will give to the pressure next time i will do it without facing him and see how we go.
He will proceed if i swing the end of the rope at his but butone thing is when he starts to move forward i stop (i had been told as soon as he gives i stop the pressue) but we may only take a step or so then again i have to do it should i swing a few times then if he keeps doing it really connect the end to his bum???
Thanks and sorry for taking over the post but this may help out knightrider as well