Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi-Grey is lame!
Today was Hi-Grey's visit to the vet for his coggins test and health cert. I noticed as he was walking across the field that he was favoring his left front ever so slightly. He got new iron put on a couple of days ago, and I noticed when the farrier was working on his right foot that Hi-Grey was really impatient and kept pulling his foot away (very unlike him to do this.)

There is no heat or swelling anywhere in his leg or hoof. The only thing that I can possibly think of is that he may be developing some arthritis in his left shoulder. He's had a 'click' in it for quite some time and I've had him on joint supplement for it, but it never went away.

What would you suggest I do for this? I have him stalled for the next couple of days to see if that helps, but if it's arthritis it probably won't help much. Do you think that giving him 1 gram of bute before riding might help? He's not markedly lame. I'm a little concerned that if it is arthritis, his trail riding days may be over. Any thoughts?
I would take a shoeing hammer and tap each nail in his right shoe and see if he flinches. The farrier may have quicked him with a nail. Tap the nail head. if this is the problem you will have to pull that nail.
Termite
Hi-Grey is lame on the left front, not the right. He was just impatient to have his right foot held up so long, with all of his weight on the left hand side.

He had to go a little longer than usual between shoeings and was really quite long in the toe. I don't know if going from long to shorter may be causing the problem.

I'll call the farrier and see if he can go out tomorrow and check the nails. (I'll be stuck at home and incapacitated for the day since I have to do some "prep" for a colonoscopy on Monday.....not fun)

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Appy, my horse was lame too after last shoeing. I freaked because typically she is not even sore. Farrier came back and checked every nail then reset the shoe. He thought perhaps he had taken too much toe. We painted her feet with a 1:1 mixture of kerosene and pine tar for 3 days. On the third day, she was fine. Wish you and Hi-Grey the best outcome.
"You never know til you know for sure and even then its hard to tell."
It is not unusual for a horse to be lame after an abrupt change in angles from a trim. If her toes were excessively long (remember from the conformation discussion, her low pastern angle would put excessive pressure on her tendons and ankle bones) the pre-shoeing lameness may be because of the added strain of the long toe.

I would expect that after two or three days he should be adjusted to the new trim and will be fine. I would not use stall rest but I wouldn't ride him.

As for riding him I would not personally use Bute, unless the lameness was Chronic and the exact cause was confirmed by a competent Vet.

I would keep a close check on him for the next few days to make sure the condition is not due to an unrelated cause such as grass founder stone bruise etc. Check his digital pulse often to see if any thing is developing.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
It may well be due to the shoeing and going from long toes to shorter toes. I can't really pinpoint exactly what part of the leg that's causing the problems. He's not blatently lame, only subtly. There's no heat in knee or fetlock and no notable digital pulse, hoofs are cool to touch.

I'll have him turned back out this afternoon.

Hopefully he'll be back to normal before my first scheduled ride on 5/19 - 5/21.

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Mine have also gotten "ouchy" after a trim/shoeing where they get their angle changed or farrier takes too much off the toe...goes away in a couple of days. Hope that's all it is.
Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
I know this happened to Dove last Summer. My farrier was having problems with his live-in girl friend leaving him and he wasn't paying attention to Dove when he was resetting his shoes. He got Dove just a wee bit to short in the toe and it took a few days before Dove wasn't limping. I forgave my farrier for the oversight, because he's never done this to one of my horses before, and he felt absolutely terrible about it. I haven't had anymore problems with my farrier in this regard since[Smile].

Appygirl; I sure hope Hi-Grey is back in the pink, soon. He's a great guy[Smile][Wink].
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Yeah, Appygirl, I am feeling optimisism for Hi-Grey. I bet he will come around fine in a few days like others suggest. Keep us updated and think optimistically too! Smile
Hi-Grey is all better . . . Yay! Thanks for everyone's insight. RH, he is a great guy, in't he? lol So much personality.

Oh, here's a giggle for y'all. Picked up Hi-Grey's Coggins papers this morning and the gal who did the test gave up on trying to get all of Hi-Grey's markings drawn in. Now I wonder why she threw in the towel? lol
Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,