Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thinking about buying this yearling...
Hey everyone!
I need some advice. I am thinking about buying this yearling from the ranch I worked at last summer. He will just be my pleasure horse, so I don't really care how well bred he is/how pretty he is (although he is a registered QH). I'm just a little worried that he may not grow to be big enough for me. He was born last June 19 (2005), so he isn't quite a year yet. I made a feeble attempt to stick him this morning (the stick is apparently very scary), and I estimated him to be around 13.1hh right now. His dam is on the property and she has lots of bone, but I would estimate only about 15-15.1hh. I'm not sure how large his sire is, but I'm going to try and find out tomorrow. Is there anyway we can guess how tall he'll get from where he is now? I'm about 5'7", so I'm worried about feeling too tall!
Thanks for any help you can offer. I'll try and get some pictures of him tomorrow [Smile]
I would think that, if you're 5'7" and of average build, anything over about 14.2hh or 14.3hh would be plenty big for a pleasure horse, unless you just wanted something bigger. If he turns out like his dam at 15hh+ I would think that's plenty. Much bigger and it might be hard to get on!
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

At a year he will grow a lot more. He should reach 15 hhs at least. You can get a guess at this height by taking a yard stick and measure from the middle of his knee to the hair line above his hoof. This only really works if they are over a year old. He is close enough that it should work and since you just want to know if he is going to be tall enough it should be fine. 1" = 1 hh. So if you get 15" he should be around 15hhs. If you get 15-1/4" = 15.1hhs 15-1/2" = 15.2hhs 15-3/4" = 15.3hhs This is normally correct within a couple inches. It's not 100%

Hello again! Thanks for the help guys! I will try that measuring trick next time I'm out. I got his papers today, and also looked up his sire online. His sire is supposedly 15.2 and his dam I would guess to be around 15 at the most. I'll include some pictures of him with this one so you can see what he looks like. He's also on mud and really poor-quality hay at this place, so I figure if I get him out of there his growth won't get stunted.
[Image: horse002.jpg]
[Image: horse003.jpg]
[Image: horse004.jpg]
I also went to see another colt today. He's the same price, but he's not yet gelded (he's only about a month old), and he is registerable but not yet registered (I think he can be double registered paint/QH, but I'm not sure how that works). He has undeniably "better breeding" than the first one, but that doesn't really matter to me in the end. The only reason he is going for less money than this guy's other foals is because he was breeding to get more broodmares and this guy is a colt, and he also doesn't have any paint markings. I'll put a picture of him in here too. Let me know what you think of them both!
[Image: baby.jpg]
If it'll help ease your mind on the height, I have a friend that's 6 feet 7 inches tall, and he rode my one gelding who was 15.3. My friend didn't look out of place on him at all. So, I would think you should be fine on a horse 15 hands or better... no problem[Wink].

Danielle; I tend to forget everyone's level of horse experience. But if you are reletively new to horses or at the beginner level, I would definitely stay away from young horses not yet started under saddle and get yourself an older been-there/done-that type... mayber 6 to 8 years old and a gelding if possible. A yearling or even a weanling needs a lot of support from their handler to teach them what to do, and that's kinda hard if the handler is learning, too. A well broke, laid back, well mannered older horse can teach you so much more and will forgive your mistakes as you learn from him... and if you already know this and have the knowledge & skill to train a youngster, please accept my apologies.

The colt is very nice, by the way[Smile]. I like him, and he should make a very nice gelding once he's old enough[^].
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Hi RH! Thanks for the info! I've been talking about these guys under the Horse Conformation category too and have posted a new message I would like your opinion on if you wouldn't mind.
Thanks!!
Danielle