Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
training forks, hard mouths
quote:
Originally posted by Red Hawk

OTW; You have the right idea with the "It's okay." thing. Most of the time, except for key words that a horse connects with a desired result, horses don't understand the meaning of the words we say to them. It's more your tone of voice and your body language. As long as your voice and your actions are soothing and calming, you could be saying anything, and it wouldn't make any difference to the horse.

I tried this, one time with a dog I had. I used my good dog tone of voice and kept saying "Bad dog." the entire time. He thought I was praising him because of my tone of voice. Then I told him "Good dog" using my scolding tone. You would've thought I was going to give him a licking the way he responded.

So, unless it's a word connected to a command such as whoa, walk, back, etc., the horse just understands your tone and not the words[Smile][Wink].

In principal I agree with you, but certain phrases can be recalled, and "It's okay" is what I use when she's about to spook at something. Sometimes I'll say it in a different tone and I think she still recognizes it. I'll try coo-ing, "Danger coming, run like h*ll" next time in a soothing voice, I'm sure it would have the same effect but I'm trying to get her used to the specific words.

(LOL, just picturing the reaction of trail riding buddies if I did that, ROFL!)
Hi OTW,
I would love the link to the rope halter you got on eBay. I've been looking for rope halters, but I'm not sure which one to buy (the "authentic" trainer ones are like $50+, and then there are many others around $10). I would like to try the one you have though, so if you could post the link/name of the eBay store that would be great.
I don't know if the notion of "locking" is any of the John Lyons books. I just bought one of his books from Chapters online, "Lyons on Horses", so it might be in there (haven't received the book yet). I know the videos are expensive - I was looking at some Clinton Anderson videos/DVDs on eBay and they are nearly $100!! I think that's a little crazy. It would be great if there was somewhere/someone we could rent them from!
quote:
Originally posted by Danielle

Hi OTW,
I would love the link to the rope halter you got on eBay. I've been looking for rope halters, but I'm not sure which one to buy (the "authentic" trainer ones are like $50+, and then there are many others around $10). I would like to try the one you have though, so if you could post the link/name of the eBay store that would be great.
I don't know if the notion of "locking" is any of the John Lyons books. I just bought one of his books from Chapters online, "Lyons on Horses", so it might be in there (haven't received the book yet). I know the videos are expensive - I was looking at some Clinton Anderson videos/DVDs on eBay and they are nearly $100!! I think that's a little crazy. It would be great if there was somewhere/someone we could rent them from!

I think the series I was interested "Gaining Control and Respect on the Ground" (Anderson) is more than that. Recall says closer to $150? Pretty steep.

I couldn't find one of her auctions, so will PM you her email address as soon as I post this. Not that she'd mind, but I never presume to post someone else's email address on a public board.
Carol
Hi Carol,
I didn't get the message with that lady's email address in my private messages. It's ok if you can't find it or whatnot, I just wanted to let you know in case you think you sent it and it hasn't arrived.
Thanks again!
Danielle-- On your profile, I clicked on the link that says Email. I thought that was a link to your private email address but at the same time a way for it not to be published. I did have trouble with loading pages on the server, my blue progress bar just dragged. It was the 2nd time I tried and it looked like it went through.

But this board is not a yahoo arena or anything close, so I think it's fine if I just post it. pjacobsen@ideaone.net. To repeat what I wrote in the email, she has a couple of horses of her own and makes rope halters as a sort of cottage industry. She uses a center core rope with polyester on the outside (a/k/a "yacht rope" I believe). That's why I bought hers, I got a horrific nylon rope burn (like a hole in my wrist), and JUST in case Cloud ever pulled against that rope halter I didn't want to take any chance on her getting anything near that, particularly on her face. The rope is 1/4 inch which is also what I was after. I didn't like the thicker rope halters. This is thin enough to fit under a bridle comfortably, but substantial enough to be very strong, as strong as you'd ever want a halter to be. It's also pliable (floppy) which is another thing I was after, I didn't want a stiff one that could bit in just by its very shape, and the ones I'd seen were stiff. (In short, I was after one like those I've seen on RFD the trainers have... and charge ridiculous prices for). Paula keeps a number of colors of rope on hand and she can let you know what she has. If your horse is larger or smaller than her typical recipient she'll ask you for poll measurements. You can order it with rings (reins or whatever) or without. Extra nose knots or just with the normal ones involved in the tying. She has photos of those or can link you to one. Prices are very low, I don't know how she makes any money, I believe it's a labor of love as much as anything. Very sweet lady and cares a lot about horses. I don't think you'll be disappointed. ;-)
Carol
Hey Carol,
Thanks for the email. I will contact her right away. My parents are getting their horses as soon as they can find someone to trailer them! They don't want to hire someone who does it as his/her primary business because it's so expensive, so we're looking for favours from friends right now! Thanks again for the contact; I can't wait to get the new halters!
I totally agree with RedHawk. Train these horses from scratch as if they were youngsters.

I would work on flexing, first lateral and then vertical. Do a lot of groundwork, especially backing. When you ride under saddle never pull steadily on the mouth...if you do you'll be making their mouths hard. Use legs and a give & take rhythm with the reins until they do every stop/turn/back correctly. Work on correctness and form, make sure everthing is correct and perfect and every lesson is learned completely before training anything new.

I would not resort to any sort of mechanical device like martingales, tie downs, or training forks...because what the horses need is actual training. These devices will make the horses behave...your goal is to create a willing partner who wants to behave.