Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
colic or laminitis
Just wondering what its the difference between colic and laminitis? I read the different symptoms of each but what causes one or the other? are they caused by same thing?
In a nutshell;

Colic is a belly ache usually caused by something in the horse's digestive system that can't get all the way through and out the other end. Sometimes this can be as simple as trapped gas. Other times it can be an impaction, which is something that is blocking the passage of material through the digestive tract and won't move. A horse's digestive tract is strictly one way once the food is swallowed. What goes into the body through the mouth has to travel the course and come out the other end. If it can't, then you have colic.

Laminitus/Founder is caused by an abrupt change in diet and affects the feet. I hesitate to good further that this, because I'm not as knowledgeable on this subject[:I]. Hopefully, someone else can explain it further. sbower[Big Grin]???
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Laminitis (also called founder) is caused by an inflammation/lack of blood flow of the laminae that hold together a horse's foot, causing the bone within the hoof to rotate or sink. Once that happens, pain is permanent until the hoof grows back into normal alignment, which can take a year!Sad Sometimes it never does. Veterinarians don't understand laminitis very well... it's only recently that they have theorized that it's the lack of blood flow (and blood clots) rather than the swelling/inflammation that causes the damage in laminitis. And they are a long way from being successful at treating laminitis at anything but the very earliest stages.

The most common causes of laminitis are eating too much grain, grazing of lush pastures, and excess exercise and concussion in an overweight/unfit horse. It also can develop secondarily after colic, due to some medications, Cushings disease, infections, and retained placenta and womb infections after foaling.

One of the first indicator of laminitis is a strong digital pulse just behind the pastern on the inside of the ankle. Normally it's very weak and can barely be felt, if you can feel a definite pulse call a vet ASAP. Once the horse is lame the damage has already been done. Traditionally cold therapy is used to try and minimize damage until the vet comes but more recent research says heat works better. While waiting (with your vets approval of course! Smile) try to get a gallon of mineral oil down the horse, it will act as a laxative and prevent absorption of the toxins in the GI tract.

In acute laminitis, the horse is depressed and stands reluctantly. The horse will resist any attempt to walk but if forced the gait is severely disturbed....slow, crouching-down, short-striding gait. Each foot, once lifted, is set down as quickly as possible in an effort to distribute the weight evenly. The horse will "lean back" and stretch its forelegs out straight.

Did I miss anything!LOL[book][Big Grin]
<'\__~
_(( // ====

Actually Laminitis and Founder aren't the same thing even though the terms are used interchangable. Laminitis is the swelling/inflammation of the hoof and Founder is when the coffin bone rotates. Since many times both happens the terms have become interchangable. It is possible to have a horse that has had laminitis and not founder and to have a horse that is foundered but not have laminitis although in that case the horse more then likely had Laminitis to get the founder.

The coffin bone will never go back into the org. place but the hoof wall can grown out into the new alignment. Many times you can tell if a horse has had this hoof problems by looking at the white line. It will look stretched out, sometimes the sole looks flat footed or lower then it should. Many horses with the white line stretched like this have more trouble with hoof fungus and WLD.

Laminitis and foundar doesn't mean the death of the horse. It can take a long time to turn them around but many go back to their jobs.
Good point, Stormie. Not many know that laminitis and founder are too different ailments.

With regard to laminitis not meaning death of the horse, tell that to Secretariat. It can be fatal. I don't know why Secretariat developed laminitis. You would have to think that his diet was very well balanced. I believe he had bouts of it throughout his life after retirement, so I'm thinking it may have been stress-induced from racing. Regardless, he was eutanized because of it.
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader