Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
young horse beginner rider
I have another question. I have a 3 yr. old, very sane horse but young. I know young horses aren't as dependable as an older established horse. I have been taking lessons every week for 5 months on a lesson horse that has won state champion and very well trained. He's good for reminding me to keep my outside shoulder in otherwise he will canter. I have also been riding any where from 1 -5 times a week on my own on this and one other horse. My 3 yr old has 90 days training on her. This breed is known for it's gentle temperment and when the trainer rode her , he said she gets right down to business. I was wondering if you all thought I am looking for trouble starting to ride her our level experience. I know green+green = black and blue. Does it sound like I may have a chance of being "fairly" safe? I also need to let you know I am not a risk taker, I am a very safe and cautious rider. I know I'm asking a lot with out seeing me ride or without seeing my horse. By the way...I broke her myself but left the rest to the trainer. I really don't want to take her back to that trainer because he felt my marriage was his business and without knowing what was behind some of my comments to my husband, (my husband would be the first to admit he had them coming" he would get protective towards my husband, finish explaining what he thought my riding problem was when in fact she was doing exactly what I was asking. My husband had no idea what I was trying to do so he made a flip comment to me which I fired one right back. Anyway, one more than one occasion my trainer walked out of my lesson leaving me hanging. Now I have this expensive horse that I paid a fortune to train and I can't ride her. He also bad mouths all of his clients to the other clients so I know he was bad mouthing me. He doesn't let you have your own opinion. I have seen him tell someone they could take their horse home and the person he was having the discussion with wasn't discussing the training, they were talking about something else. You NEVER challenge him or he acts like a tempermental baby and makes really nasty comments. So taking her back to him or getting lessons from him is out of the question. What am I to do?
Sounds like you need another trainer to start with!

You're right about being able to advise you on riding your filly. It'd be a hard call without seeing you and her. You know more about your riding ability & her training & temperment that us.

If you decide to ride her, remember she's probably not going to know the cues that the lesson horse you've been riding knows. She may not understand what you're asking her to do so be patient and take time to teach her. Before you climb on, lunge her w/o the saddle, then with the saddle, do some bending exercises from the ground then again when you get on. Get her listening to you and remember to release the pressure when she yields. AND....wear your helmet!

Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
I would also advise finding another trainer. My reasons are even if you think you are doing okay, if you don't have the knowledge, skill, and first and foremost; the experience to train a horse, you will make all kinds of mistakes that you won't even be aware of. I'm not trying to be a know-it-all, but I am going from my own past experiences from when I first started training horses. I can look back at that first horse I trained and see all kinds of errors I did with him and the holes that I left when training him. A good, well-qualified, and highly recommended trainer shouldn't let this happen and should also work with you so you know how to ride your horse the way he is being trained.

This is something, unless you have the time & the experience under your belt, you just can't do totally on your own. Your horse will probably be perfectly okay with you if you do it on your own, but it is so much more worth it to let a good, qualified trainer to do it for you and then show you want you have to know to get that great ride your horse is now trained for every time. Warrior was my first horse, and he was a favorite mount for most of my friends and family when they came to ride with me. I knew I could trust him, but there were some things that he never did right because I missed it when I trained him from the ground up to begin with.

Also, a horse can hurt you so quickly that you won't even know what hit you until it's over. If you do something not knowing that you are putting yourself in danger, your horse can break your bones... this includes your head. I know... I've been there, and I thought I was being very, very, careful.

So, can you train a horse on your own when you don't have the experience or the skill to back it up? Yes. Is it dangerous? Yes. Is it better to hire a qualified trainer to do it right and keep you out of danger, AND give you the horse that you really want? YES!

Be safe, my friend, and my best to you & your horse.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Thanks for the help RH. I don't think you're a know it all so don't give it a second thought. I would have never tried this on any other horse but the one I broke was different. I followed Anderson's groundwork and colt starting series. I did everything s-l-o-w-l-y! I did in 4 months what most trainers do in the first week or two. I did ALL KINDS of ground work and de-sensitizing on her. I took my time introducing the bit, saddle and ground driving etc. When I got to actually getting into the saddle, that also took atleast a week. I would put my foot in the stirrup and then got down, then moved on to staying longer, then leaning, then sitting for a min.etc. Even then before I actually asked for anything from the saddle, I tried all kinds of things to push her buttons like pulling the saddle like someone who has to pull themselves into the saddle, and I kicked her butt getting on and off. I did this on both sides. After a week or so of this, I actually sat in the saddle for a few days only asking her for lateral flexion and disengaging her hindquarters. Only then did I ask for forward movement. And that was only to teach her to move with leg pressure, then I asked her to do one rein stops and disengage her hindquarters again. My First priority was SAFETY for both me and my horse at all times. I never did anything at any gait other than a walk. I am not an arrogant know it all either but I felt I could do this with her. I did a lot more that I haven't put in this reply. It was mostly to build trust and confidence. I told the trainer some of what I did , all he could say were things like "everyone thinks they can watch a few tapes and they think they're a trainer..etc" but He couldn't find anything wrong with the prep work I did and it would have killed him to acknowledge this and a few other accomplishments so he didn't say anything at all. I knew what I wanted to accomplish before I took her to the trainer and left the rest to the professional. I know my limits and like I said, this was only a one time deal, don't want to try it again. It was an absolutely positive experience for us. She never once bucked, kicked, or did anything stupid. Too be honest, this was too easy!! She took the bit right off the bat and the same with the saddle. It was almost like she was already broke to be honest with you. And good news, I have a new trainer!! Taa Daa! Thanks for being so concerned for my safety, a lot of people probably wouldn't care.
Thanks again,
Mouse
I wish more people would research training and working around horses before they tried it, and in some cases, before they would even consider getting a horse. You wouldn't believe how many wrecks I've seen waiting to happen just watching people getting ready to trail ride or when they have returned from a ride. I've seen a lot of stupid things at horse shows, too... especially the ones on the open & 4H levels. Usually, nothing happens... no wreck... but it does put my teeth on edge, and I'm ready to jump in & help if it looks like the wreck I see does develop.

From what you have just said, you have done a lot of research on training before ever attempting it, and that's good. It sounds like your training experience was much like mine. You described how Warrior was to a tee... acting like he was already broke. Those kind of horses are rare and usually have a disposition worth it's weight in gold if it's never abused. It's also easy for you to drop your guard around these types and trust them way too soon... and that's when wrecks will happen.

It sounds to me like you are doing a good job so far[thumbsup], and I'm so glad you've found a trainer[Wink]. Keep in touch, and let us know how things go[Smile].
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
RH, thanks for that jewel of advice. You are absolutely right about letting your guard down. Looking back recently, I did that just last week and never really realized I did it until I read what you said .. THANK YOU! It's easy to do but I'm aware of that now and I will definately be more aware in the future! I'm sitting here shuttering thinking how cautious I normally am but my judgement lapsed and you're right, that's when you get hurt. Thanks!
gaitingal

If you think I'm quiet, it's only because we aren't talking about horses!