Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hoof trimming
Animal Lover,

I live right by an Amish community here in Iowa. There is a farrier there who is very well respected, and is used by many of the horse people I know. But I don't think you can generalize and say all Amish therefore would be good to work with. I think it still comes down to the skills and personality of the individual. I don't use this particular farrier because you have to go to hm, and he doesn't take appointments. The one time I went there, he did a very nice job on my horses, but I had to wait in line for about three hours...which really wasn't that bad because I got to talk horse with a whole bunch of folks. Check your Amish farrier out...and decide for yourself if he does qualitly work, and if you like the way he handles you and your horses. I don't see an advantage or disadvantage to being "Amish"
Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
I agree with Flooper in this respect. You're not a horse expert just because you're Amish, and many of them are not. A horse, to them, is just a tool to either pull the buggy to town or plow the fields. It's a lot like us with our cars, trucks, SUV's, etc. Just because we drive them doesn't mean we do all the work to maintain them, too. For that, we hire an auto mechanic. Horse are basically the same thing to most of the Amish. This is not saying that there might be some actual horse educated people among the Amish, but I'm betting the ratio is probably not much different from the horse people that have horses as a hobby. In other words, I'm betting that there are bad Amish farriers as well as good Amish farriers. Being Amish does not make any difference when it comes to the personal experience and education in horses.

Just my honest opinion.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
What a beautiful way to describe it. I never thought of it like that but you are probably right. Thanks