Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monthly Costs
I'd suggest going to a horse sale (auction). The ones here in KY always begin with a used/new tack auction and you can come away with some stuff at a real good price.
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

LadyFlame - have you considered leasing a horse? I was able to do that before I got a horse of my own and I loved being able to take care of "Scottie" as if he was my very own. Also, he was a very forgiving soul, so was perfect for me. Only drawback - when lease was up, it sure was hard to let him go.
Boots

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tell me, and I forget. Teach me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I learn. – Ben Franklin
Truth is not determined by a majority vote.
- Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger
(Now Pope Benedict XVI)

Does anybody do "Lease with option to buy" or "Rent-to-own" in the horse business? That way, maybe you wouldn't have to have the money up front, but also would not have to part company at the end of a lease. I guess there could be problems if the horse came up with a problem, or died.
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Yes, there are folks who will agree to a trial lease for a purchase option. A lease should be spelled out in detail (the dying part of hmeyer's comment) and really clear to both parties. Lease forms can be found online.
Boots

Tell me, and I forget. Teach me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I learn. – Ben Franklin
Truth is not determined by a majority vote.
- Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger
(Now Pope Benedict XVI)

Here in KY, Midway College will lease out their equestrian program horses over the summer, which I think is a pretty good deal if someone is trying to decide if horse life is for them.

Personally, I have never been in a lease situation but can see its benefits.
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Check This out! I was at my sister-in-laws barn(she lives in an attic apt. above the barn she keeps her horse), and met a lady there who boards her beautifyl paint Sputnick there. We were talking about my lesson that I had that day, and I was expressing how I didn't know WHAT I was going to do cuz' next weekend is my last offical one from the stable I train at. I was going to have to desparately and bravely learn on my sister's horse Lakota(who is about a 7 or 8 on the 'ricktor' scale [B)])becuz' I couldn't afford more, and the kind lady offered to give me lessons on Sputnick for free! Wooohooo! Talk about a godsend! It just goes to show that if you work and search dillegently and eagerly for your dreams and desires, things will happen!
I am faithful that my dream to own my own four hooved soulmate[:o)]will come true, and that I am making moves in the right direction that will meet that need to be around horses until then.
I KNOW you guys can relate to the love and affinity I feel. Thank GOD I'm not the only horse freak out there! [Big Grin]
LadyFlame... I'm laughing at your "7 or 8 on the 'ricktor' scale"... great term! ;o)
LadyFlame,
If you keep hanging out at the barn, show a genuine interest in horses, put forth a good impression with people who will then see you as someone who would be good with a horse, kind, and dependable, then you never know what might happen. Often times people are in a position where they want to find a good home for a horse they can no longer keep. They don't want to sell him, but just want to know he goes to a place that will be kind to him and care for him. As I said before, we have had two horses given to us. In addition, we have had to turn down two other people who offered to give us horses, because we have no more room for them.
Now, that's not to say this will happen to you. It may never, or it may, sometime years down the road. The main thing is to keep your nose clean and put forth an image of a responsible horse person, and people will notice this. You never know what might come your way!
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

hmeyer, Trust me, I am hoping that this will happen to me! I am NOT expecting it, but wouldn't that just be great if the situation was right?[Smile] Until then, I will surround myself with oppurtunities to be surrounded by the equestrian world.[Smile]

Ree7, Yep, that's the nice way of putting it! She definitly is....uh, spirited...[B)]