Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monthly Costs
Yes it is an expensive hobby, but i don't ask hubby for diamonds or furcoats or go on expensive trips. I ask for saddles/horse tack and of course more horses.

I have to laugh at your comment, paintedbliss. When my husband landed a lucrative job several years ago, my father-in-law told me it was about time my hubby bought me a diamond ring (we were married quite young and were very broke for a long time). I told him the only diamond I wanted was one with four legs! He still laughs about that.

Bag of Oats - $10.00
Cowboy Boots - $150.00
Circle Y saddle - $1200.00
Horse - PRICELESS![Wink]
Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
We have our own place, buy hay and grain, do my own hoof trimming and I figure it costs us about $2,000 per horse per year.

Does not include cost of trailer, truck or showing. Easy to spend a couple of hundred bucks at a weekend show.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
LadyFlame:
How much does it cost to keep a horse???? Answer: A LOT!!!!

[Big Grin][Big Grin]
Larger horse (Percheron/Clyde type) costs more: more feed, farrier usually more expensive as is larger size tack in many cases.

Older horse: Usually cost more for supplements (joint type, etc., maybe extra feed to keep wt. on) Maybe less cost if well broke, don't need trainer/lessons.

Young horse: May need to tack on training costs.

Vet care: Nice to find a preventive care program if you have a vet in area that offers it. Can save you $$. Keeping up with vacs and dental can really save from an illness.

Board: depends on if you keep them at home (you may want to cost out what it costs you in terms of time doing horse feed/clean/barn and pasture type maintanence...it is a LOT of time). Boarding: different places (depending on how fancy/ammenities from hot walker/jump arena etc to here's the land and you feed and clean your own. Wide expense range depending on your area.

Farrier: Depends on your area, if trim and barefoot or if shoes (and how many)

I don't even WANT to add it up! If you are showing, tack on costs for all kinds of equip: trailer/transport, clothes, fancy tack, extra supplements, lessons or training.

People have different ideas on horsekeeping from outright negligence to give them the basics, to the finest of everything....and then somewhere in between. I'm somewhere in between. If I had to put a number on it all (horses at home, no lessons or trainer at the moment) I'm guessing I probably spend averaging out vet care, farrier, feed, shavings, dry stall, supplements around $600-700/month for the 3 (that's off the top of my head).

To make it work...no private schools for kids, I am the tutor, don't go out much, don't buy expensive clothes, timex is my rolex...root therapy less often... what's a manicure????...sacrifices I am more than willing to make just to look out my window and have them here!

Gosh, you guys, I am so jealous that you are 'there' and I am not! I have wanted a horse since I was born[Wink] and STILL can't afford one.
THANK YOU SOOOOO much for your time and input!!
Ever since I started finally taking riding lessons, I have been jonesin'about every three days! I KNOW I will not be able to get one anytime soon(not unless I get that million $ record contract!).
SO, what I've been doing is trying to find barns and new friends in my area that I can come help clean out stalls just so I can be around horses! *sigh* One day, but until then, thanks again for your input.
[Smile]
Lady flame, If you really want it it will happen. I wanted a horse since i was 9 years old, i think from the time i saw lil joe on bonanza on that black and white tobaino. i did not achieve my dream until i was 40 years old after my city husband was convinced that we should buy that house in the country i had been asking for since we were married. I work hard to support my horse addiction, I have a very stressful job but my girls make it worthwhile when i come home after a long day. There have been sacrifices where i shop at walmart or have to wait for a sale at the mall.
Keep learning about horses, read, go to seminars and absorb as much as you can at lessons, the barn or wherever you can get your horse fix. Someday you will achieve your dream when you are ready to buy that first horse.
The purchase price for your horse will be your least expensive outlay of cash! ;o)

Following is my breakdown on expenses for one horse:

$115/month board x 12 = $1,380.00
125 bales of hay/year x 2.50/bale = $ 312.50
Grain/winter - $105 for 220 lbs - 33 days x 4 = $ 420.00
Grain/summer - $105 for 220 lbs = $ 105.00
Farrier @ 6 weeks spring-fall - $80 x 5 = $ 400.00
Farrier @ 8 weeks winter - $30 x 3 = $ 240.00
Vet costs - spring - coggins = $ 18.00
spring vaccines = $ 90.00
wormers $13 x 4 = $ 52.00

Sub-total - horse care costs = $3,017.50

Camping/trail riding costs

Fuel for truck- 6 trips/yr x 12/tanks @ $45 = $ 540.00
Trailer maintenance (spring) = $ 250.00
Camping Fees - 6 weekend trips/yr @ $70/each = $ 420.00
Food/drinks - $50 @ trip = $ 300.00
Riding permits, etc./year = $ 50.00

Sub-total - camping expenses = $1,560.00

Grand total = $4,577.50

Yep.......this is a very expensive hobby!
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Appygirl, you forgot all the tack, goodies, gimics, gadgets... or am I the only one who gets sucked into all that? LOL.
LadyFlame, we are not all "there", I am still working on the dream just like you! Even though I don't have a horse of my own, my own "stuff" is still an expense I budget for. I do the same as you - hang out at the barn, clean stalls, groom horses, watch the more advanced riders, listen and learn. Go to the seminars and the local horse sales (not to buy, just to observe!) and you will soon get to know lots of horse people. I have made lots of friends just by being a regular at the local horse events.
quote:
Originally posted by OnTheWay

Appygirl, you forgot all the tack, goodies, gimics, gadgets... or am I the only one who gets sucked into all that? LOL.

All of that stuff I already have and replace only on an 'as needed' basis. I do drool over all of the neat stuff, but realize my horse budget is already tapped.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

quote:
Originally posted by appygirl

quote:
Originally posted by OnTheWay

All of that stuff I already have and replace only on an 'as needed' basis. I do drool over all of the neat stuff, but realize my horse budget is already tapped.

I hear ya. Mine has well dipped into "other-designated" funds, but it is going to have to stop. VERY easy to get carried away. I'm starting out with nothing tho, so guess there's an initial outlay scenario.