Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mama Flash is due to Foal March 12
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Flash is not a Newbie. She has had several foals. Promise, our two year old filly from Profit is also hers. She is truly accepting of Mrs Hook and myself. Not so with other horses. and quite leery of strangers. You should see her snake head look with ears back and teeth bared. We were present for complete birth and Chuck has agreed to let me post a link so those interested can see a few pictures of the event. There will be a picture of her udder so you can see just how big it becomes.

Thanks for the nice picture comments. Taking pictures with a good digital camera is fun. I took over a hundred pictures and you don't get to see the "not so good" ones. Some touch up with Photo-Shop also helps.

Well, Hook, I'm really glad Chuck agreed to let you post that link, because a lot of us would really like to see it. BUT YOU DIDN'T POST THE LINK!

ROFL! Oversight, I know, but please do because you may have thought you had. [baghead]
I just had to comment on how some mares are around people and other horses with their foals:

I boarded with a small breeding operation for a summer or two, and my friend had two mares with foals at the time. The one mare was very overly protective. You could be just walking down the aisle way of the barn not even thinking about the mare and her foal and she'd kick and rush at you from inside the stall with her ears back and her teeth bared. The first couple of times she did this scared me silly, and her feet striking the walls was as shocking as a gun shot!

The other mare was a very loving type horse. She was out in an outdoor pen when her baby came up to the fence. Steve & I were standing on either side of him petting his neck and not paying much attention to anything else when here came mama's head right in between us. It was all very casual and low key. It was like mama was saying, "Oh, I just thought I better make sure everything is okay, and I see it is. Don't you think I have a handsome son?" Then, satisfied, she walked away where she could still keep an eye on everything.

I also boarded my mare, Wimpy, at a place where another mare had her first foal. After mama and the baby were re-introduced with Wimpy, many was the time I'd see the foal with Wimpy instead of mama. One time I was coming down the road and saw them in the pasture but couldn't see the foal. Where was she? The two mares were standing nose to tail swiping flies off each other in the summer sunshine when I started counting legs. The baby was sandwiched in between the two mares! Wimpy never had a foal, but she loved them dearly, and I just know she spent some time being something like an aunt to that filly during her first summer of life.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
quote:
Originally posted by OnTheWay

quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Flash is not a Newbie. She has had several foals. Promise, our two year old filly from Profit is also hers. She is truly accepting of Mrs Hook and myself. Not so with other horses. and quite leery of strangers. You should see her snake head look with ears back and teeth bared. We were present for complete birth and Chuck has agreed to let me post a link so those interested can see a few pictures of the event. There will be a picture of her udder so you can see just how big it becomes.

Thanks for the nice picture comments. Taking pictures with a good digital camera is fun. I took over a hundred pictures and you don't get to see the "not so good" ones. Some touch up with Photo-Shop also helps.

Well, Hook, I'm really glad Chuck agreed to let you post that link, because a lot of us would really like to see it. BUT YOU DIDN'T POST THE LINK!

ROFL! Oversight, I know, but please do because you may have thought you had. [baghead]

I don't have the link set up just yet. Had 19 photos but only some loaded into Photo-bucket. Will work on fixing today or tomorrow AM.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson