Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mama Flash is due to Foal March 12
Nothing new to report today. My prediction to Mrs. Hook yesterday was three to five days which would make the birthday some time between now and Thursday the 23. If she was born on Monday we could have Spring in her name. I am thinking shes is not progressing very fast and might even hold on past Thursday.

I will be posing pictures so EZ I will try to get a good one for your father.

The TV plot is getting old...... but still so interesting we set an alarm to wake up and check the plot on a regular basis.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
The 23rd is my oldes brother's birthday, too. I think that should be the day!

I'm thinking black filly with a star and a snip.
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Any news today? Today is sweethearts 2nd birthday, maybe flash is waiting for spring before she pops that baby out!
I can relate to the waiting waiting waiting, my mare is due this week or next but she has had the "Braxton Hicks" type contractions for over a week, udders will swell, then go down, she doesn't have a problem at all with eating her groceries still, matter of fact thats all she thinks about. She has changed in body shape, foal has repositioned and I see movement, she lays down at night, sometimes rolls, contracts gets up and repeats a couple times and then acts like nothing happened. The other night I could have swore it was the night since she was swelled in her privates enough to see a good bit...but NOTHING, today her tail dock is now softer and more defined so I am HOPING this will be the week. I leave her alone as much as possible, checking on her before I turn in for the night but I am a nervous wreck considering she aborted one at 6 months for no apparent reason, but up until now this pregnancy has been uneventful. Sometimes I honestly think she is doing this on purpose to drive me insane!
Dixidoe
Words of appreciation from the peanut gallery...

Oh, wow!

Wow.

I just cannot picture the joy it would be to witness a baby horse being brought into the world. I would want to light up the sky with fireworks, or just quietly make oatmeal because that's what you do at 4am and say little, and ponder it.

You are really waiting on this, I hope you can get photos of the newbie and share them with us.

Some of you folks are really honchos! Stormie got crunched by a well meaning bull, RB got dumped and worried more about his horse than him, you are tapping your watch, waiting for a birth and obviously with no less emotion than relative, a close one!

This is as close as I get to birth of baby horse. If you capture photos of newbie, please post them! Magical time, births, and a baby horse... this is just something I would love to be able to see, a newbie with its fuzzy face, newly popped out!

Best wishes for good nights' sleeps until it happens. I hope you don't feel at all obligated or urged, but if you do get photos, I really hope you can share them with us.

Best wishes to your babe for an easy birthing!
Carol

Jazz is holding out on me too but today her udder stayed full all day so I'm hoping she will pop soon.

OTW
Having a foal born is great. You go nuts with worry and lack of sleep. Then once you hit that climbing the wall, check your self into the loony bin the mare foals and you forget the last 11 months of your life. It's blocked out so completing that the next time you think about breeding her again all you remember is that cute little foal...until she is bred and then it starts all over again. It's like the water torture thing. You slowly go mad and it takes roughly 340 days.
No change today but Flash seems a bit more restless. Stormie's Jazz sounds like she will be another week or so.

I have a VCR hooked up to the barn camera so if luck is with us we may be able to capture the whole ruckus.

My digital camera is all ready as well so baby pictures will be forth coming in any event.

I am still thinking Thursday or Friday. I am planing on Thursday and am taking the day off work. (How's that for positive thinkingSmile

OTW - Seems I remember a little horse chasing excitement in your life lately as well.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
quote:
Originally posted by PaintHorses

I can relate to the waiting waiting waiting, my mare is due this week or next but she has had the "Braxton Hicks" type contractions for over a week, udders will swell, then go down, she doesn't have a problem at all with eating her groceries still, matter of fact thats all she thinks about. She has changed in body shape, foal has repositioned and I see movement, she lays down at night, sometimes rolls, contracts gets up and repeats a couple times and then acts like nothing happened. The other night I could have swore it was the night since she was swelled in her privates enough to see a good bit...but NOTHING, today her tail dock is now softer and more defined so I am HOPING this will be the week. I leave her alone as much as possible, checking on her before I turn in for the night but I am a nervous wreck considering she aborted one at 6 months for no apparent reason, but up until now this pregnancy has been uneventful. Sometimes I honestly think she is doing this on purpose to drive me insane!

How is your mare coming along?. When is she supposed to foal?
Hook(ed)......on Horses

Day 350
No change today but Flash seems a little more restless than yesterday. I think I detect a certain "smugness" in her eye. Nipples are in final stage of complete fullness, milk is still clear. Alarm set to go of every 3 hours starting at the last barn check at 9:00. Sure makes for a different sleep pattern. Couldn't get back to sleep this morning after the 3:00 am alarm, so I'm sitting here watching horse TV, whoops, more interesting she woke up, got up, moved toward the camera, now just eating hay left from last night, saw Dream's ear for a moment from the next stall, somebody thumped and made a noise.............

Still think Thursday is a good bet but perhaps the colder than normal spring weather is dragging things out.... Yes, YES that's it.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

quote:
Originally posted by Stormie

Jazz is holding out on me too but today her udder stayed full all day so I'm hoping she will pop soon.

OTW
Having a foal born is great. You go nuts with worry and lack of sleep. Then once you hit that climbing the wall, check your self into the loony bin the mare foals and you forget the last 11 months of your life. It's blocked out so completing that the next time you think about breeding her again all you remember is that cute little foal...until she is bred and then it starts all over again. It's like the water torture thing. You slowly go mad and it takes roughly 340 days.

I couldn't have described it any better!
This is my mare's week and I have gotten to the point with all her "false alarms" that I check on her around 11pm, make sure she has hay and no full blown labor happening, and go to bed with the monitor on. Hoping for a Tobiano stud colt, and ANYTHING but a sorrel
Good luck to all the others waiting, waiting, waiting!
Dixidoe