Daily Equine Forums
Old Tex Tan Brahma Saddle - Printable Version

+- Daily Equine Forums (https://www.dailyequine.com)
+-- Forum: Saddle and Tack Topics (https://www.dailyequine.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Saddle Brands (https://www.dailyequine.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Old Tex Tan Brahma Saddle (/showthread.php?tid=5187)

- megsmom32958 - 08-20-2007

I have an old Tex Tan Brahma Saddle. It has no serial numbers on it anywhere. I have emailed customer service @ Tex Tan trying to find out more about it but haven't had any reply after I sent them numerous pics 2 months ago. If anyone knows anything about this saddle, I would really appreciate it if you could pass along your info. I will send pics to anyone who wants to see it. It is in excellent condition. Could use new lamb underside but I am not going to mess with that until I find a professional to do it. There is a round stamp/engraving directly below the horn that says Texas Tanning & Mfg. Co. Yoakum, Texas Brahma Brand. I would really like to know when it was made. I only paid $50 for it and I think I got a good deal. I don't plan on selling it, going to use it after I finish oiling it up.

- Hook - 08-20-2007

Hi Megsmom;

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry I can't help with the dates on your saddle but would love to see a picture when you get it ready.

- chopk9 - 08-22-2007

Hi Megsmom, I didn't have any luck from tex tan on any info either.The only info I received was from Chuck at this forum. Here is what I have found, Texas tanning mfg was the company in the 30's to sometime in the mid 40's when it became tex tan. I have a saddle of each. The texas tanning has a metal plate marked as such on the rear of the saddle which says Texas Tanning Mfg yoakum Tx, Hereford brand. The brahma is marked tex tan of yoakum brahma brand on both fenders. If yours is marked both then I would think you have something pretty rare. This might be the link to one thought that the brahma goes back to the 40's. The only texas tanning saddles I have seen have been marked hereford brand. If any body has any more info or my info is incorrect please let us know.

- lindy9530 - 11-18-2007

I have an old brahma saddle and can't find any info. anywhere I look. And I still ride in mine.

- megsmom32958 - 11-19-2007

I am riding with mine also. I absolutely love it. Kind of like the difference between a car from 1960 and today. You just know you have something that was made to stand the test of time. I did finally hear from the fella at Tex Tan and he said he searched catalogs back to the 50's for mine and couldn't find an exact match but was an authentic Tex Tan and that it was possible it was an from earlier than the 50's. I have no serial number on it and that seems to be the downfall for pinpointing it. The only one that I have found to be a close match is on Ebay for $1500.00 and that fella says his is from the 20's. I would gladly put a pic up if I knew how...can someone tell me?

- Hook - 11-19-2007

quote:
Originally posted by megsmom32958

I am riding with mine also. I absolutely love it. Kind of like the difference between a car from 1960 and today. You just know you have something that was made to stand the test of time. I did finally hear from the fella at Tex Tan and he said he searched catalogs back to the 50's for mine and couldn't find an exact match but was an authentic Tex Tan and that it was possible it was an from earlier than the 50's. I have no serial number on it and that seems to be the downfall for pinpointing it. The only one that I have found to be a close match is on Ebay for $1500.00 and that fella says his is from the 20's. I would gladly put a pic up if I knew how...can someone tell me?

Check out this instruction on How to post Pictures on the forum.

http://www.dailyequine.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3781

- lindy9530 - 11-19-2007

Thank you for writting me back. My saddle does have a ser.#. If you would please tell me how to contact Tex Tan, I would like ton see what they have to say about mine. Thanks again I have sugar really bad and have already sold everything I own, but my saddle and my little girls horse. Any help would be greatly apperciated. Thank you again.

- megsmom32958 - 11-19-2007

Hey Lindy,

Write to a fella named James Leist, National Sales Manager at customerservice@textan.com make sure you include that number you have from your saddle. Sometimes it takes a while for him to get back to you. If you write him and don't get a response after a week or so, write him again with your information. Hope you get good news on your saddle. Please let me know.

- lindy9530 - 11-20-2007

Hello

I have did what you had said, so I guess now it is a wait and see game. I really thank you for your help. I will let you know if I here back from them at all.

Thanks again,
Lindy