Daily Equine Forums
Mama Flash is due to Foal March 12 - Printable Version

+- Daily Equine Forums (https://www.dailyequine.com)
+-- Forum: Creative, fun and entertaining (https://www.dailyequine.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Saddle Shop Corral (https://www.dailyequine.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Mama Flash is due to Foal March 12 (/showthread.php?tid=2970)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- OnTheWay - 03-26-2006

Hook, since I've been out for over a week I haven't seen a lot of the messages since then, but caught this one, and what FANTASTIC photos! A truly darling baby, and Mom is doing what somehow amazes me every time I see moms and newbies in just about all species... she somehow knows what to do, and so does the baby. I've never seen newbie moms and babies in the horse world (unfortunately only dogs). How does Flash react to your getting close to her baby? Will she let you touch him? And how is the baby acting when humans come around?

Other curious question, since horse teats aren't obvious like they are in dogs, what ends up letting the baby discover where they are? (I still can't see how they can drink with their necks craned out that tightly, lol.)

You are some photographer, those photos you got are absolutely precious! The stuff great family Christmas card photos are made of !!

- EZ2SPOT - 03-26-2006

He's a terrific looking little guy, even if you were wishing for a little gal! Nice pictures; I especially like the last one where Flash is resting with her head protectively on the baby!

EZ2SPOT

- fracturedbones - 03-26-2006

Congrats! The last picture is my favorite! Ahhh! With the long wait, she deserved a new topic for the birth!!

- PaintGal - 03-26-2006

WOOHOOO!! Congrats!! [clap]

I was tired of waiting so I know you & Mrs. Hook were really getting impatient! Love the pics, especially that last one of Flash & the baby curled up together. It's just "aww"!

- dorotomorrow - 03-26-2006

How cute is he...! thanks for sharing the pictures.

- appygirl - 03-26-2006

I love the way mama's nicker to their babies soon after they are born; and the way they sniff/smell them. It's almost like she's saying, "well, here you are. I've been waiting so long for you to arrive."

It is an awesome experience watching the birth and then being a spectator watching the foal attempt to stand, and once achieving that, begin his search for his first meal.

Wow, kind of makes me want to get a mare again! lol

OTW, to answer some of your questions, most mares I've been around don't mind humans being around their babies, but there are a few who have that protective instinct in them. It can vary between births sometimes.

I'm a big believer of foal imprinting, which has the human in the stall handling the baby shortly after birth (after mom has had a chance to do her thing, but before the baby stands.)

I imprinted my foal and he turned out to be the best behaved foal I've ever seen.

- tagnrocky - 03-27-2006

Wow! He's darling! He took almost a year to "cook". You just can't rush perfection!

Have you noticed how many times this thread has been read? I think all of us were waiting anxiously!

Congrats!

- PaintHorses - 03-27-2006

Congrats on the new baby! gorgeous, and I'm sure well worth the wait. My mare is baking hers a little bit too much I think, either making it big or adding more paint to the mix lol. Great pics, you need to make Christmas cards out of that one with her and the foal laying down together, that is PRECIOUS!

- OnTheWay - 03-27-2006

quote:
Originally posted by appygirl

I love the way mama's nicker to their babies soon after they are born; and the way they sniff/smell them. It's almost like she's saying, "well, here you are. I've been waiting so long for you to arrive."

It is an awesome experience watching the birth and then being a spectator watching the foal attempt to stand, and once achieving that, begin his search for his first meal.

Wow, kind of makes me want to get a mare again! lol

OTW, to answer some of your questions, most mares I've been around don't mind humans being around their babies, but there are a few who have that protective instinct in them. It can vary between births sometimes.

I'm a big believer of foal imprinting, which has the human in the stall handling the baby shortly after birth (after mom has had a chance to do her thing, but before the baby stands.)

I imprinted my foal and he turned out to be the best behaved foal I've ever seen.

Appy, I didn't know that was the word used, but I sure agree with the premise. (I mean, how could you NOT handle the foal shortly after birth, lol.)

They are soooo cute!!!
Carol

- Hook - 03-27-2006

quote:
Originally posted by OnTheWay

Hook, since I've been out for over a week I haven't seen a lot of the messages since then, but caught this one, and what FANTASTIC photos! A truly darling baby, and Mom is doing what somehow amazes me every time I see moms and newbies in just about all species... she somehow knows what to do, and so does the baby. I've never seen newbie moms and babies in the horse world (unfortunately only dogs). How does Flash react to your getting close to her baby? Will she let you touch him? And how is the baby acting when humans come around?

Other curious question, since horse teats aren't obvious like they are in dogs, what ends up letting the baby discover where they are? (I still can't see how they can drink with their necks craned out that tightly, lol.)

You are some photographer, those photos you got are absolutely precious! The stuff great family Christmas card photos are made of !!

Flash is not a Newbie. She has had several foals. Promise, our two year old filly from Profit is also hers. She is truly accepting of Mrs Hook and myself. Not so with other horses. and quite leery of strangers. You should see her snake head look with ears back and teeth bared. We were present for complete birth and Chuck has agreed to let me post a link so those interested can see a few pictures of the event. There will be a picture of her udder so you can see just how big it becomes.

Thanks for the nice picture comments. Taking pictures with a good digital camera is fun. I took over a hundred pictures and you don't get to see the "not so good" ones. Some touch up with Photo-Shop also helps.